Quick Aerator question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jay, Feb 3, 2001.

1. jay

jay LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying a areator this year and will probaly only be using it one or two months a year. My question is should I go with a briggs engine or Honda. Right now I would like to save the extra money if possible. I never buy briggs anymore only honda but will I be alright with running it only a few times a year.How many years have you had your briggs areators and how much usage.

Thanks for the help

[Edited by jay on 02-03-2001 at 01:45 AM]

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

B&S motors are not that bad now. Back in the 80's they had valve seat problems, but now they are fine. I have several B&S motors and I'm having no problems with them.

3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Finished my third season in November using a Ryan Lawnaire V with the Briggs engine. I have done 50-80 lawns per season with zero engine problems. I've replaced the drive chains due to normal wear, but that's the only problem so far. I wouldn't try to talk you out of buying the Honda either. I paid for my aerator in less than a month, so if you decided to spend the extra money for the Honda, you would make it back easily. Briggs or Honda, take care of your equipment,it will take care of you.

Bill

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

My experience is with small briggs
    14 and under.I put a premium on maintenance.
    I can honestly say ive never wore one out
    if I bought it new.Mowing since ,a long time.
    Thats why i have a hard time understanding
    how all these homeowner briggs wear out.
    Cant under stand how a homeowner can kill
    one in 5-10 years.There use to be 5 different
    grades of briggs motor.probably different now.
    MAKE SURE YOU GET THE INDUSTRIAL HARD CYL
    SLEEVE.They may not even makeum without it
    anymore.

5. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

A bit of common sense applied here goes a long way. An aerator is an item, as you stated, that you will ONLY use for a couple of months a year. I would not spend the extra money on the honda engine because this is going to be a low use item anyway. Take care of it during the downtime, and it will last a long, long time. Kind of like using a blowtorch to light a Marlboro with. It will get the job done, but "it sure aint' necessary."

6. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We've been running briggs for a while now on some of our equipment. The commercial grade engines are much better than the K-Mart specials. As long as you do routine maintenance they are fine...

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

If you take care of it, it should out live you. If you're only going to use it occasionally, winterize it when it's going to sit for a while.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

As long as its not a TECUMSH%T your alright.

I have a Briggs that is 25 years old on a Rototiller. She smokes a little upon first starting but it still shakes my fillings out cutting thru this hard clay.

I have to vent about Tecumseh for personal reasons, that company has some serious problems, their customer service absolutely sucks.

Good Luck, thanks for the vent.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

MOWED, I feel the same way about Tecums*** engines. I had one freeze up that had less than 10 hours on it. As for an aerator engine, if the Honda option is less than a $100 dollars I'd go with that. If you ever want to sell it ,and you have the Honda option, that will be an asset.

10. Craig Jones

Craig Jones LawnSite Member

I have an Hahn aerator which is close to 8 years old and it has a Briggs 3.5 I/C Engine with no problems so far.

Also have a Bluebird dethatcher which is about 10 years old and had to replace the engine (bought used.) Put on an 8 year old Briggs 3.5 I/C and no problems. Have a 95 Bluebird seeder with 5 hp Briggs, no problems.

I find the Honda Engines run smoother but have been happy with the Briggs.

We basically use these machines a little in the spring and for about a month in the fall, so the engine upgrade to a Honda did not make economic sense to us.