Quick answer on bid needed by noon tomorrow! Thanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dixie Pro Lawn Care, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Dixie Pro Lawn Care

Dixie Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

On a commercial property, if mowing costs me 14.00 an hour (fuel and maintainance/replacement cost) would 35.00 dollars an hour be fair since he is willing to pay by the hour for the FIRST time around? I'd say it's about 7 acres of mowing and 22 15'x6' islands that are mostly covered with bushes. There is one wooden fence about 300ft long to trim around and a 227ft chain link fence to trim around (small enclosed playground, I'll trim inside too as it is mostly rock). The acreage is wide open with very few obstacles. He wants it mowed weekly. He fired the last crew he had for reliability and quality issues. He said he will pay for quality but shot me $20 an hour.... Hey, he's a business man and I expect that even though the figure was laughable. I have to give him an answer by noon tomorrow. What you guys think?

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

$20/ hr?
    Maybe you now know why the other crew isn't there.
    If he's a businessman he knows better.

3. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge by the sq ft. NOT the hour.

7 Acres is a huge lot. You should be getting well over 500 for it.

4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Don't charge by the hour, charge by the job! I can cut a property with a 36in mower in 30 mins and then cut that same property with a 72in mower in 15 mins why would I want to charge half as much just because I can do it faster with better equipment? You'll be losing a lot of money that way. You should get at least 50.00/Acre so I'd say between 350.00 to 450.00/cut

5. Dixie Pro Lawn Care

Dixie Pro Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I agree, dispite my question. I was thinking that earlier, "Why should I be penalized because I can Mow faster than others?", heck, I paid enough for my DC xt3200 to be able to do it! By his own admission it was a two day job for other crews (one mower) but I think I can cut that to one full day but I WOULD penalize myself for being more efficient. I think I'm gonna just shoot him a figure after looking at the property today. You've helped me make up my mind, thanks. I think I'll shoot him $450/wk and stop at $400 after haggling back and forth.

6. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are happy with $15 to $20 per hour, bring your mower, I have plenty of work for you.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe I'm missing something but, how could it take 2 days to do 7 acres?
    Why will it take you a full day to do it?

That's a 4 hour job for a solo...............

8. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. I do a 3 acre church by myself with a 48 in 2 hours.

9. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like this property is very tedious with a bunch of obstacles and a lot of blowing off, with 22 islands and a playground with a bunch of rocks and such, although the mowing shouldn't take a lot of time since its pretty wide open.

10. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Why? If you want 450 get 450. Dont let him haggle you down. Jeez. Grow a backbone and stand up for what you want.