quick blow out question?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kotajack, Nov 1, 2005.

1. kotajack

kotajack LawnSite Member
    from Mass

OK, in the past I have used a large tow behind compressor maybe a 185. The rental company screwed up the reservation and we ended up using a small tow behind maybe a 85. I did two larger sysetms with long pipe runs today and I was not happy with the results. The compressor did seem to blow all the water out but the heads did not pop up all the way, some did and some didn't. I went through some zones twice to be sure. Should I be worried or will they be ok? I don't really want to do them again but I will If I have to, what would you guys do? Each one took me two hours.

2. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

you should be fine i use a small elctrick one on my resadents home and have no problem

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you open up a zone, and the furthest head pops up and sprays no water, then you should be confident that you didn't leave any water behind.

4. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

If say you had a run with 6 heads (or whatever)and your valvebox was on top of a slope with the farthest head at the bottom wouldn't that head slowly drain that run due to the head pressure? Therefore if there is minimal water in the lines would the air still pop the head. I quess my question is does the air have to force water to pop the head or will the air pop the head in an empty line? I'm sure there might be a different answere between spray heads and a pgp rotor with a #9 nozzel.

5. Wet_Boots

If the head pops up, that indicates enough pressure to produce an airflow that will sweep water along with it. Any airflow will tend to sweep water it contacts. Think hurricane storm surges.

6. cenlo

cenlo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I understand that, but will compressed air fire a rotary head with no water in the lines?

7. Wet_Boots

If you ever visited the Hunter factory, you would see the just-assembled gear drive rotors running on air pressure. Almost any sprinkler head will 'run' on air pressure. That's how they usually test them after assembly.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

And if you open a case that is contained in a plastic bag then that one has been pulled off to be tested with water. Use care when using them because water may dribble on you. :D

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Lady called yesterday saying her brother couldn't blow out the system. I asked what kind of compressor? She said it was a small handheld one you keep in the car to air up the tires. I wanted to laugh so hard.

10. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I seen the same thing . a guy called me and told me his system would not winterize i came out for a service call and he was using a cigrette lighter pump i almost died out laughing.

For the guy at the top of the list , sometimes when the heads don't go down its because of not enough air volume i would be a little worried unless they are self draining then they will go down the same way. Get a bigger compressor 175cfm is perfect.