Quick breakdown

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Does this sound right?

I'm bidding on a condominium complex. There are 8 seperate buildings. They all have sidewalks, curbs, drives and ditches. Not an overwhelming amount of trees, but a substantial amount of trimming. I really wish i had the sq footage. Sorry, but try your best to follow me. I might be able to attatch an aerial shot of it though.

Mow and Trim = $8,120/year
    Edging (twice per month) = $1,575/year
    Hedges (twice a year) = $700/year
    Cleanup (limb control) = $350/year

Total = $10,745
    Monthly Payment = $1,535 (over 7 months)

Anything about the numbers jump out and grab ya? I'll try to get that aerial shot asap. Thank.

PS. Runner - I may need your help on this one, seeing how it's my first commercial account bid. (this is the one i had mentioned a month or so ago)

2. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

Not knowing the sizes of things it will be next to impossible for anyone to help you on this.

Pricing will vary depending on all kinds of things.

For example:

How long/tall are the hedges,?

Walkways,how long etc..?

How big are the lawn areas? Wide open mowing or all tight trim mower stuff?How often?

How many tree's, what types?

And on and on.

Dan

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This is just a sample .... cuz we cut 42 times a year ...but for me that would be bout $255 per visit or bout 7 man hrs per visit .... so if I could do that job in under 7 hrs that would be my price

4. Expert Lawns

It will take me 5 hours to complete on average. Here is an aerial view. 2 inches = 100 yds (approx). the areas to be serviced are the 5 big white areas.

woodfield.jpg

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a little tip.

For mowing:

Break up the "BIG COMMERCIALS" into examples of a few of your residentials. Say this Commercial is equal to 5 of your residentials (size/time wise....NOT PRICE).

This way you'll have a rough man hour estimate.

Then multiply by your hourly rate.....At least $50-$75/hr.

For the bushes and edging, figure that by the hour in a similar fashion.

Number ONE rule....."When in doubt, bid high!"

Nothing worse than a yearly contract that you are loosing your shirt over. You want commercial accounts to be as high a dollar/hr ratio as possible.

Don't forget your drive time, and blowing off time (blowing can sometimes make or break a large commercial job).

Good luck!

6. Expert Lawns

I'm averaging 28 cuts/year. That is what I based this bid on.
    28 cuts/year @ $383 per cut

7. Expert Lawns

Well put TLS

I have had some residentials that I underbid due to blowing time. NEVER again will that happen. thanks for the heads up buddy.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

That's exactly how I bid larger sites ... I break it up into small areas or quads that is easier to estimate time .... n I bring along my digital camera taking photos of the area to help refresh my bid later when back at the office

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

Right on the money Tommy! Dont forget the blowing.
    I have one commercial on top of a hill and it seems like the wind is always blowing at you which creates a major pain in the _ _ _ to blow. I bet it takes as long to blow as it does to mow.

FYI- Did you include trash pick-up in the bid??

Your numbers look good by description but its hard to say without seeing it to gauge how long you will be there on a per cut basis.

Jimbo

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

If your estimating it only taking 5 man hours/visit, then your about right with what you SHOULD be making. Problem is, someone else is going to be much cheaper. But shoot them your bid.

How long for the shrub trimming? Since thats only twice a season, you cant really figure that in with the weekly mowing and stuff. Just make sure your making enough on that, cause bushes can really eat up your time. Not just the hedge trimming alone, but raking up the debris, disposal, unloading debris, etc.

With your numbers your coming out just above the $75/hr mark. Thats good coin. Just be certain that it isn't going to take you 8-10 hrs/visit thats all!