Quick Decision?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Chip, Dec 28, 2000.

1. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

I think its time I invest in a good spreader.In the past I have used a walkbehind spreader for salt on walks and the small parking lots that I maintain. This year I have picked up a bit more commercial work and think its time to get a truck mounted spreader. I was qouted a price of $1300 for a western model 1000 spreader, not installed but dealer said it would be easy to mount to my class III hitch. I know of another dealer that carries other manufactures spreaders.

If I buy one tomorrow I realize I will do the install myself, not a problem. I was hoping to spend about $700 - $800. Any opinions or thoughts about what I should do?

The big storm is coming tomorrow night. It could pay for anything I decide to buy. Trying to decide what to do. Please help.
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

If it was me, get a two stage model. Brand doesnt matter. That way even wet material will even be able to be run through it.
  3. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

If you're going to buy a small (tailgate) spreader I would recommend a couple of choices.

1. Buyers (orange box) - If you are going to use bagged salt. All these type spreaders, i.e., fisher, meyer, western, etc. are the same; keep them clean and dry and they will work good. $700 good price and it's a good first spreader.

2. Airflow MSS. If you want to spread bulk salt. Works great and is indestructible. $1,900. You will have this spreader forever.

Just my opinion.
  4. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Thanks RB
    I saw a Buyers on the back of a truck today, the first orange box I have seen. Usually all I see around here are yellow boxes. I will call around tomorrow and see what I can find. That is more in my price range and since it will be my first and I will be using bagged salt I think that may be a better choice.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

You stated that you wanted a good unit. A buyers isnt a good unit. It is a cheap wannbe. Spend the money on a two stage and be done with it.
  6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Second plowkings statement. I had a Buyers, it was more efficient to spread by hand with a longhandled shovel. Save your money.
  7. HC

HC LawnSite Member

We have a Buyers (Tractionmaster in Canada) on one of our trucks and when it isn't broken it spreads fine. The factory also wired the 12V motor backwards and it took me 2 days to figure out that the auger and spinner were turning the wrong way! The spinner assembly is of weak design and backing into a soft snowbank will throw it out of alignment which disconnects the motor from the spinner/auger shaft. This makes for a very p---ed off driver at 3am trying to reconnect the shaft in the cold with a full hopper of Magicsalt. However as I mentioned, it spreads fine. It was $1800 Canadian with the swingaway mount. We could have bought a used bed mounted sander for near the same price but I didn't think the truck could handle it loaded (Chev 2500, 6 bolt wheels).
  8. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you get one with either an auger inside the hopper, or a conveyor at the bottom. The biggest complaint I hear is about spreaders plugging up...

9. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I have a Western single stage with an auger. It feeds very evenly. Empty and wash after <b>every use</b>. Load with bagged salt or bulk salt you have sifted to remove large particles.

Keeping your spreader clean is #1. It isn't a storage bin for salt. Same goes for sidewalk spreaders. Salt dust gets caked on everything with just one use. Salt is caustic to steel. Most any single stage with a vibrator or auger should suit you fine for years to come unless you want to spread salt and sand. I don't do sand. Just my preference.
  10. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I have the Western 2000 (700lb capacity) with auger and couldn't agree more with SlimJim. I think he has the 1000 which is just a little smaller version of mine, I believe.

I paid $1350 for mine with the variable speed control and Swing away mount. It ran $200 to install. Good luck.