Quick flyer question. HELP!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Eddie B, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Placing flyes ON a mailbox is illegal, as in sliding them under the flag? I just found out one of my guys distributed about 800 like this, instead of placing them on the doors. I wanted them on the doors in the first place, knowing that mailboxes may be a legal issue. A lady has already called me, claiming its a federal offense, and shes got the license plate number, and she's reporting me, and blah blah blah. Somebody please clear this up ASAP, because if I have to go back and remove these suckers its gonna be a long day.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

YES it is a Federal Offesne for anything to touch any part of the mailbox (or even the mailbox post) without postage. IF the PO would decide to fine you in is like $300 per piece per mailbox.

3. Eddie B

from gone

$300x800=$240,000 bucks. Looks like my a** is goin out to remove these.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah and even if they don't or didn't fine you and just chewed your butt out, they'd still put your info in their "little black book" in case of any future violations so it is best to get them off before you have to even deal with the PO.

5. Eddie B

from gone

I called the lady back to clarify the situation, she was kinda nasty and friendly at the same time... but I sent this stupid guy out to get them. I can tell we're off to a good start this year...

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you instructed your helper properly, it should be HIM that goes around and removes them IMO.

7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Who owns the mailbox? You or the Government?

8. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

The Government once it is installed for all legal purposes.

9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't matter they want to sell stamps.

I wouldn't send the same person out to get them. It will be easy for said person to say 700 must of already took them out the mail box...... You need to go out and get them.

10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I asked the question to be an ass really. I'd have to check up here but flyers and non postage paid mail is a common occurence.