Quick Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Expert Lawns, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I started a thread awhile ago about weed control, fertilzer, and pesticides and licensing for them. I Know there's a lot of talk here about it and some people don't know the facts.

Well, I wanted to spray round-up in cracks, and mulched areas (weed control) for customers. Some said it was ok if I used it sparsley or watered it down.

Today I received a call from the department of agriculture. Talked with a guy from their office that said he received a fax of my advertisement. He asked about the "weed control" I planned to perform. He told me it WAS illegal. Even though round-up is sold at k-mart and anyone can buy it, I must have a license if I do it for hire or on anyone else's property but my own. He is sending me a stop order on my advertisements. No trouble right now, but if I am caught doing it, it's a $1,000 fine. Not worth it for me.

I feel embarrassed. Even though I sought out the help of lawnsite, it still wasn't clear to me. I didn't take the proper steps to make 100% sure that it was ok for me to provide this service. Lesson learned I guess.

By the way, I find it weird that a Convelescent Home would fax my advertisement to the department of agriculture. I guess they do have a lot of worries and a lot of things to worry about. But man, how embarrassing.

2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

so you dont have a pesticide licence??

You gotta get one before you do any kind of spraying. Even some fertilizers require a license.

you should have asked the guy when is the next class and test. You dont even have to take to class, but if you are not familiar with chemicals you should, then the next day they have a class.

good luck

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This one thing I learned while study for my exam last year.....you can't even advertise it if you don't have your certification and business license........Can't even put it on you estimate form.

4. Expert Lawns

You guys are right. I can't advertise, but I can bid for the job. As long as the customer knows that I am subbing it out. It is my duty to inform them right up front that I personally will not be doing the work. Sounds weird to me that I can't advertise, but I can bid on jobs. Those are the words he used.

Mow2nd, here in Michigan you have to work under someone for 2 years before you can get licensed. I don't have the time to do that. At the time, I thought it was legal to spray round-up, that is all I wanted to do. Not full fert apps.

5. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

wow, I didnt know that. Here in NC anybody can get a license, all you gotta do is take 1 day class and a test. Then keep up with your credits each year by taking classes which are usually held at a dealer.................always some free food...........yummy

well good luck man

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

In some states you can't recommend a treatment or bid a job that you are going to sub out unless you are licensed. ie having one of the guys run out and measure a property so you can submit a bid

7. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Is this true? I wish that was the case in Minnesota.

8. Expert Lawns

What are the qualifications in Minnesota?

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Look at the top of this forum, First post that is locked at the TOP.

^READ ME::Licensing In all States!!

10. Expert Lawns

too much reading. i'll let him post it in a few sentences or less