1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Quick mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by steve m, Apr 23, 2010.

1. steve m

steve m LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a Quick mower? 1. are they any good? 2. Why so inexpensive?
    3. Do they last? 4. Are parts easy to get? 5. If you have one would you buy one again?

Thanks, Steve

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I can answer the part about them being inexpensive.

They are sold factory direct eliminating the entire distribution network. There is no distributor adding his profit and there is no dealer adding on his profits. There is a problem with this though.

Some of the parts of the mower are available locally. Things like engine parts and tires you can get anywhere. But the proprietary parts like the tranny, wheels, spindles, mower frame parts, casters etc you must order from the factory. And admittedly from the owner of the company, they may or may not have the part that you need when you need it. The spring time when they are building the most mowers is the worst time for parts. They can have a lag time of up to 6 or so weeks. Bear that in mind when you buy one of these mowers.

You may want to do a search for Quick mowers here at Lawnsite. There have been numerous issues reported ranging from deck clogging issues to the width of the mower being so wide that a 36" Quick won't fit through a standard 36" gate.

3. flydelsolsi

flydelsolsi LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

I have owned one for 2 years, which is where I get my experience from.

1- Yes in the right conditions
    2- Per Richard
    3- I have had good luck with mine, I believe they are solid machines
    4- No, if you are a serious mower you need to keep a back up, or buy two quicks. If you need parts you will need to wait for a few days. Depending on your dealer support you may have the same problem with any mower you buy.
    5- Yes, but as time went on not as big of one. Not as great a deal as I originally thought. Still a deal in my opinion, as long as it fits into your business plan. Richard hit everything right on the head.

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I have one that's about 5 years old now and I have problems with the reverse cable always breaking, something is going on with the compression.
    seems the battery cant turn it over when it hits the compression stroke. even with a NEW battery.

the handles are too low, should have run flat tires on the front.
    this machine was cheep, and theres a reason for it,
    the machine just didn't hold up

I would NOT purchsed another one.

5. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I had a quick 26 single hydro (ninja) for 2 years. I had a problem with clumping in thick spring growth, but I have the same problem with my metro 36 this year. Otherwise, I never had a problem with the quick. It made me money, and I sold it for $1800. Now that I think about it, I'd buy another one. BOP was very friendly, and I had the mower ~3days after I ordered (free shipping too).

6. horsequick

horsequick LawnSite Member

My quick 36 is now 5 years old. Mine has the kawasaki engine and it's a hoss. I think the reason it has SO much power is because you're only turning 12" blades. I've never had one single problem with mine. The transmission is bullet proof. As far as cables.....never had one of them break either. Come to think of it....I've only replaced belts on it one time. Not because it broke but because I figured it was time for a new belt.
    Don't worry about tearing it up especially if you're using it yourself. Sure, there are people out there that can tear any damn thing up. Hell, you can buy a brand new $50,000 corvette and can burn up the clutch in one day if you don't use it right. All I'm saying is that if you know how to take care and use equipment then it will last.
    I would definitely buy again.

7. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

I'd bet that the valves have an adjustment procedure and that it's time to do it.

Mike

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

yea, that's what I was thinking too, it's nor really fair for me to bash the machine. the engine is briggs.

the machine has held up quite well for all the CRAPOLA I put it through.

9. hammanservicesllc

hammanservicesllc LawnSite Member

Still a deal in my opinion, as long as it fits into your business plan. QUOTE]

I agree the Quick needs to fit your needs. I bought a used Samurai with the 16 hp Kawasaki Kai because it fits my business plan. I mow small to medium yards that have tight spots to get in and out of. I also live in the city and have no place to park a trailer. I can load my Quick 36 easily into the back of my half-ton truck and still have room for a 21" mower (when I need it) and other equipment. I would be nice to have the dual hydro, but the single hydro is better than a belt drive for my mowing conditions.

I have not owned the machine long enough to speak about it holding up. It does deliver a great cut and is easy to use. Better Outdoor Products makes the only compact hyrdo mower that I have seen. I have been very happy with my quick thus far.

10. lawnjox

lawnjox LawnSite Member

Just wanted to chime in on this! I have 3 of the 32's with the 15 hp kai's on the them. This is the second year running them and here is what i think! Each mower see's more then 100 mows a week during the season approx 32 to 34 weeks. These are the parts that were high usage. Usage is common to each mower
    1) Bearings, each machine went through 3 sets! I use amsoil red grease weekly
    2) Cables these things are cheap they rust into used more then 3 sets on each
    3) one set of belts on each
    4) Go through a set of blades about every 2 to 3 weeks
    5) Front castor's are a little week if you bump into anything it will bend them just take them off and bend them back into shape
    6) Forward and rev handle breaks from time to time and the operator present handle to
    Some other misc stuff that any machine would use.

Bottom line Bop are the best in the business for dealing with issues and getting parts to you! 99% of the time parts in the shop next day! I have waited weeks for parts for Toro, Honda and other makes!
    Quicks are simple and great mowers they do have issues in the wet grass, I think all mowers do! They fit into my mowing plan and I will buy more. Oh it does help if you can turn wrenches on equipment.