Quick oil change ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Jun 14, 2005.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

My owners manuel on my 15hp kohler says to change the oil every 50 hours which i have been doing. However, I am useing mobil-1 synthetic and was wondering if this last longer?
  2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Have you considered doing an oil analysis? I have always wondered if it's possible to do extended oil changes in power equipment but I always forget to send the oil to the test center.
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't advice on extended drain intervals on Mowers. The oil might not break down but it will still get dirty just as fast as Dino oil. Like the last poster said... Send it in for an oil analysis.
  4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've had amsoil tested in a mower that had 100 hrs on it and the test said, well it said the oil was still about 80% good. Then I figured the cost of changing it compared to the cost of a new engine. I just throw away oil thats suppose to be 80% good and throw in a cpl. of new qts. and filter. Its not worth the time to have it tested or take a chance.
  5. CuttingCrew

CuttingCrew LawnSite Member

I use Mobil 1 in everything I own but I still change it every 50 hours. A few extra bucks is cheap insurance for motor wear.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I change the oil on my 18 kohler every 40 hours, because that's when I go through and grease everything, and it's easy to remember to change your oil then.
  7. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Changing oil more frequently then is called for is certainly not a bad thing. I do oil analysis on most of my trucks and mowers. I run Schaeffers, and they provide a testing service for their products. My last test with my 27 Kohler said I could extend my drain to 165 hours. These tests are used by large businesses that wish to protect their bottome line. At 165 hours the oil is not going to be bad, it is going to be performing at it's standard. How much longer you can go beyond that I am not sure, but certainly their is a margin of protection. Mind you these companies do not make more money if they tell you to extend the intervel, and it would behove them to tell you to change more frequently as you would then purchase more oil. I personally don't see any point in buying very expensive oil to change it at 50 hours. I buy good oil so I can avoid changing it out so frequently to have more time with my family.

The testing is nice for my peace of mind.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I change mine every 100 hours using Mobil1 synthetic.
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Did this mower have the donaldson air filter, or the standard air filter? What engine was this?

I'm using the HD diesel oil by amsoil that is rated for both SAE 30W AND 10W-30. I thought about sending in a sample but that cost just as much as a change. My first thought was to get an idea how long I could go, but conditions change during season and I came to the conclusion that a spring test might not show near the wear as a dusty summer test so I am sticking with regular changes.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I run mine all year on pennzoil synthetic blend ($1.79), change it once right before spring (like march 1-15th).

You guys r nuts.