Quick oil question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Mar 23, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Do you guys use Redmax oil in your redmax blowers? Voids warranty if you buy a generic oil at home chepo?
  2. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Just use a synthetic oil. It could be echo, husky it doesn't matter as long as it is SYNTHETIC. They will not be able to tell, but if they ask it is redmax.
  3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty.

You can use any 2-stroke oil you want, and if the dealer " tries to make" you use redmax oil, that dealer has to provide it free of charge. I would recommend Redmax's oil over a home"s improvement warehourse's brand. Any Synthetic 2-stroke lubricant, will outperform conventional 2-stroke lubricants.
  4. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Read the manuel carefully to verify. I don't think they can require you to use that. Use JASO FC or FD which is most likely sythetic blend or full synthetic oil.
  5. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Using the factory oil might give you a little favor in a warranty dispute!
  6. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Excellent information, thanks !!
  7. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto that. I would love to post this in just about every thread I start. If you use Amsoil and have a possible oil related failure and the manufacturer denies the claim due to using Amsoil and not the "brand specific" oil, Amsoil kindly sends the manufacturer a little note to the dealer and manufacturer stating this act. Manufacturers may use a scare tactic, whether it be the auto, atv, motorcycle or mower industry, but would lose in a court battle every time.