quick pricing question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adam underwood, Sep 12, 2004.

1. adam underwood

adam underwood LawnSite Member

A friend asked me today if i would cut down some branches leaning down over the roof of her two story house today. i told her i would come and give her an estimate but im not sure how much i should charge her....any suggestions?
    Ill be using a handsaw with an extandable pole and it should take me about 30min to get to the job and 20 min to cut the branches down and load them into the truck.

thanks

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Adam,

While you are waiting for a more specific answer you could consider how much you charge per hour on average for your services and go from there.

3. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I agree just use your reg. price for 1 man hr of wrk. you wont have much overhead
    but it's kinda dangerous so it evens out

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Dont forget a fee for hauling and dump fee.

5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

yea always include hauling and dumping I just figured that into the 1 man hr, since the job will only take about 20 min, If the dump fee is very high I would add that on also

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Don't any of you guys have a minumum price for work ? 1hour and guesing 20 min, chance of branches falling on roof causing damage? Have to do any climbing for a 2 story house? plus disposal fee--$350

Mac

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

gas and drive time are going to be your major factors. to get me to drive my truck and trailer a half hour for a job will cost ya. my price would be closer to $175-200

Olderthandirt, just curious how you came up with your number if you don't mind sharing

8. CiboloTodd

CiboloTodd LawnSite Member

I'm brand new to this site and was reading through some posts and thought I would put in my two cents. In my humble opinion, I would have to say it would depend on the amount of material/the risk of damage. I happened to have bid on a similar prospect just today. It is a Chinese Tallow that has limbs hanging over the roof and the customer wishes us to remove the limb. After viewing the tree, I realized that one cut close to the main trunk would remedy the problem without leaving the tree aesthetically unappealing. In short, one swipe with the chain saw, throw the limb in the trailer, ($12 dump fee here), and then spend maybe five minutes picking up or blowing off any debris, I bid this job at $75.
    This is an existing residential maintenance customer that just wanted little extra maintenance performed. It may sound cheap, but I feel I made out well, and she is happy, which in my eyes, is most important.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

1/2 hr. each way drive time =$100 time to do the work is a Guesstimate at 20 min.so I rd to 30 =$50 Time to pick up branches and clean debris another 30 min.=$50 taking the risk of not damaging the roof $75 and another $75 because on a 2 story house there would probably some climbing or ladder work invovled and I don't like tree work :D

Mac

10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

good numbers olderthan dirt. thanks for sharing