1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick question about leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by STIHL GUY, Jun 15, 2008.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

for leaves this fall would it work if i blew all the leaves out of the beds and into the yard and picked them up with my mower that has a 14 HP Kawi? would it work or shoud i buy a push leaf vac? Thanks for the help guys
  2. wiselawns

wiselawns LawnSite Member

Can you get a bagging system for your ransome? I got one for my tiger cub and it works great for this application. i also use it to pick up shrub clippings that i blow out of beds after trimming.

from CT

im not sure if i can get one but i wasnt sure if i should get a leaf vac or not. ill look into the bagger

from CT

i looked into it and i can get a bagger for the ransome
  5. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

if there isnt too many leaves , which would become a burden on the engine , i like blowing them out of beds then with open shoot keep passing over them to grind them smaller and propel them into one area / pile that i can then easily rake onto a tarp . we prefer to use an old back up mower for this so as not to strain the engines on our newer machines if we get into mowing up too dense a pile of leaves . then we do a final pass with bagger on to clean up most the leaf bits .
  6. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Tarp and dump. if it's not too many
  7. LuckhardtLawnService

LuckhardtLawnService LawnSite Member

Depending if you only do a few leaf jobs a year, we bought a Billygoat leaf machine that we have made our dumpbed into a huge box with a cloth tarp over the sides and we just blow all the leaves in a pile, tarp them and then dump them behind the truck and we suck them all up with the Billy Goat leaf machine. But I do alot of leaf removals.. If you do alot and actually have somewhere to dump ur leaves this method works really good..
  8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at a trac-vac for your mower. I know that they have several models, and one of those should fit the ransome. This way you will at least have somewhat of a collection system on the mower.
  9. Chris G

Chris G LawnSite Member

if you could get a trac vac you would not have to worry to much about the strain on the engine as it has a separate motor for its impeller
  10. kman8674

kman8674 LawnSite Member

i have walk behind mowers(toro) when i blow out the beds then try to bag them with my mower it doesnt look the best so i blow the whole lawn down picking up heavy as i go along. am i wasting to much time doing this?