Quick question about planting arborviates for a client

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Emerscape, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape LawnSite Member

I have a client who wishes to plant a row of arboviates (6' to 7' feet tall )along the back of thier yard to create a screen from the neighbors house. I went up to the property today to take pictures and noticed that there is a large crab apple underwhich several of the arborviates will be planted. The customer is set on having them planted there, and has purchased them from another nursery. They will be planted every 3.5 feet .. Im planning on bringing a backhoe in to dig a trench (there are 22 of them) but was worried about the roots from the crab apple...id rather not plant them in a raised bed because he and i dont like the look of it.... pictures are attached

any thoughts and suggestions on how I should go about it near the crab apple?

84496669061.jpg

84496721413.jpg

84496836357.jpg

84496901125.jpg

84496966661.jpg

2. Emerscape

and one more.. thanks guys.. also i was worried about the growth of these... I told the customer i will not warranty these trees.

84496999173.jpg

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

You will break tree roots with the backhoe, no question. Prune and D. R. feed the tree after you plant the arbs. I think you may encounter some sunlight & competition issues down the road but you can cross that bridge later.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Not closer than 25 feet

Arborviate is not an understory tree it can reach 15' tall or better

Brush up on your knowledge of bagworms

The screen should be mixed to avoid insects or disease spreading
    through the whole planting.
    try cryptomeria.

:)

5. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed a fence around some sections of the yard,are their deer in this area. Arbs are deer candy. And they dont do that great in shade from what ive experienced.

6. Emerscape

this project was definetly not my idea.... this is a well developed area and right near a main road so I dont think deer is a big problem. The homeowner purchased these arborvs... and is dead set on installing them as a screen... not my first choice.. (i actually hate arborviates but oh well its not my house)..... I was concerned about planting them under the tree (which needs lots of pruning anyway) but like i said hes dead set and I told him I would not garuntee them. he asked about planting them in a rasied bed but I hate the way that looks..... thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming...

hey lawnking... ive seen you twice in the past few days keep meaning to stop by but Ive always been in a rush. What do u suggest for the deep root feed, I think i might suggest that he have it doneby someone else (the deep root) im not sure if im gonna do it because that means me going all the way to plympton to get my sprayer and all the way back up to Westbrook... Is it safe to prune the roots at the end of August? Do you have any idea what someone might charge to spin by and do a deep root feeding? Ive got a ton more questions for you regarding fert for another job ill pm you later if you dont mind

7. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If he likes the crab apple so much, it might be a good idea to get a tree spade and move the tree. Looks like you could have some problems later on being planted so close and under the crab tree. It'd probably be cheaper and more feasible to drop the crab apple and plant a new one in an appropriate spot.
    Also, be sure you get it in writing with a signature that there is no guarantee.

8. Emerscape

this guy isnt the type to understand that the proper way to do things is to not be planting them under the crab apple and seems to cheap to bother to move it. its unfortunate and usually i dont bother with this type of customer but things have been slow and Im not in good financial conditions to be turning down jobs. I guess im gonna have to just have him sign away my responsibility and do what he wants. i guess im trying to reinforce that im not the kind of guy that hacks at things and that i stand by my quality but i also need to put food on the table.. thanks guys for the help so far..

9. Emerscape

well i won the bid for this project... will let you guys know about how things turn out.. ill post pics when im done. thanks for all the help ..

10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

If you are planning on root pruning that crabapple you may as well take it down

At least get a letter of non-responcibility for the outcome

Trees do not heal they seal,the downward spiral of the tree will begin with the root pruning.

:blob3: