Quick question about starter fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by vegas892, Sep 8, 2007.

1. vegas892

vegas892 LawnSite Member

I applied "lawn food" fertilizer (27-3-6) today on a KBG/Rye lawn... I just now realized that I am supposed to overseed this same lawn in 2 weeks from now.

In 14 days from now, if I apply starter fertilizer (20-27-5) during overseeding, will it burn the lawn or interfere with the germination (KBG/P-Rye) process? Or, do you advise against using a starter fertilizer in this case?

Thanks!

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I would find a product that only contains P and add it.
    Something like 0-46-0 would work great!

I am not sure of the rate of N you added, but I wouldn't apply any N since you already have applied.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I agree completely, but finding a straight granular phosphorus fertilizer that hasn't turned to a brick by September sometimes can be a real trick. The mixing of sulfur coated urea and potash with phosphorus in a bag of fert typically keeps phosphorus from coagulating into a clump. You might have better luck using a soluble phosphorus from a decent spray system, or even an ortho fert dispenser (if you're a homeowner). That way, you can better target the seeded areas too. Either way, be careful not to over apply the 'P' if the weather in NY leans toward the warm side.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

You can get 0-46-0 at any Co-op or farm store. Most of them should have it, but if not you can also could use a 11-52-0 or 18-46-0. I would apply 2#/1000.

I have never known 0-46-0 to set up. Typically the only one I have ever seen a problem with was 46-0-0.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you can get hold of Lesco's 18-24-12, it is 50% slow release, and completely safe - even with what you put down (if at a proper rate).

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

18-46-0 would be ok, because, even though it's all "quick release," a lb. of P only equals .39 lb. of N. Or, as Joe said, 18-24-12 at 1 lb. of P is .72 lb. N, but 50% of it is controlled release, so it's at about the same, .36 lb. available N. Either way, this time of year, in your area, you're OK. Get the P down and don't worry about the N.

7. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

I wouldn't put down the starter fert until after the seed has germinated (at least the rye) anyway. Wait til the seed is up and growing and hit it with something like an 18-24-12 - this eliminates your overfertilization problem. I'm guessin they rye will pop up 2 weeks after seeding. That way you are putting down another fert 4 weeks after. Nowhere does it say that you have to put down fertilizer at the same time as you seed. There should be enough nutrients to get the seed going (just make sure you water lightly and as frequently as possible).

8. vegas892

vegas892 LawnSite Member

I'm not sure how to calculate the rate, but I used 3lbs. of 27-3-6 per 1000 sq ft... as instructed by the manufacturer.

I just quickly inquired at a local store. They carry Espoma Triple Super Phosphate 0-46-0 ... Is this what I'm looking for?