quick question for you seasoned vets !!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slikrick, May 17, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

i would like to start up my first year in business this summer w/ no prior experience on my own and a very small amount of knowledge w/ the equiptment...... my question to you guys is, how did you start and what type of experience did you start w/ ?
    is it a good idea in your eyes to start from scratch w/ limited knowledge and go full force or start slow and work w/ another LCO for a few months or a year to gain some of that knowledge?
    appreciate any input you all can give!
    thanks
    richie

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Work a season with another LCO before you start up you will gain a huge amount of knowledle

3. mjoaaa

mjoaaa LawnSite Member

I agree, work for another company first and get a foundation of what your really doing and what your customers will come to expect. It is ok to learn as you go but you with out a doubt need a foundation first.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Pick a good progressive company though. You dont want to be learning all the bad habits off of Joe Blow.

5. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

thanks for all the comments! is there anyone out there that started from scratch and if so, how did your first couple of years go?

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I started when I was 9 years old mowing several neighbors houses with my fathers 1968 Cub Cadet tractor.

So my experiences wouldn't be much help since it looks like your 26 years old and need this to be your primary source of income.

Best advice....

Do thorough work.
    Do it consistantly.
    Do it the same day each week (if possible)
    Charge accordingly from the get go.

Good Luck!

7. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

I started from nothing but a few ideas in my head, surviving only on unemployment comp. My equipment was a used truck and 2 cheap mowers. I advertised all over the place using my home computer to print them out. I soon landed 1 customer then 2 then at least a couple a week. I had no experience at all, I read everything I could about lawn care and I tried to act like I knew what I was doing. I made alot of mistakes and looked like an idiot a few times but managed to get threw my first year. I am now only in my third year but have come a long way since then. I am now supporting myself quite well with this business but never stopped learning and reading about new ways to improve. Just get out there and DO IT!