quick question on loam, seeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mtnzone, Sep 15, 2008.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

fall season is fast approaching. And i have a couple of clients who want me to lay down some loam 2 inches thick and lay down grass seed. allowing the loam to work into the old soil through the winter adding nutrients as well as fall/winter seeding.

what do you guys think.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

across the whole lawn?? how bad is the lawn

3. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

across the entire front of lawn which is 30'x40'

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

2" of topsoil now will pretty much kill the existing grass and create some rot issues in the root zone of the new grass. You are going to kill the old grass first?

BTW, What is your idea of "loam"?

5. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

first off i was going to scalp the existing grass add loam and compost mix, plant annual grass to green up now as well as perennial for spring..

6. Smallaxe

Hmmm. I've never thought of that b4.

Has anyone done that successfully? :)

7. mtnzone

mtnzone LawnSite Member

i ve done it during the spring and summer months with great success

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your existing grass will act as a barrier not good. If the lawn is in that bad of condition customer wants new soil, i would spend little extra time and remove sod with my bobat and haul away. Then depending on thickness that is there of how much i would add. That size you could remove in 2 hours then starting over fresh and Know it will work. My opinion! Yes going back to thread 1200 sq' 1 truck load of sod to haul away and 15-20 top soil would be fine. I dont know what you seed in your zone but i use a 90-10 blend fescue with less than 10% pern. rye, stay away from the annual.
    Mike

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

No annual rye. Perennial rye will germinate almost as fast and it is perennial and doesn't look like a weed grass.

How is your 2" layer of loam going to work itself into the soil over the winter?You need to till it in or else you could have a layering problem where the roots won't grow down into the original soil ( or the loam layer might dry out much faster than the soil below)

10. Smallaxe

Ok cool. So what actually is happening here?

Do the old roots with the greens chopped off and become compost in the soil 2" down? Or do some of them come up after a while?