Quick question on wet lay...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Captains Landscape, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thermal Bluestone on concrete pad. Do you run control joints in the pad? I was planning on cutting some with the wet saw, will it affect the mortar in the joints?
  2. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

How big is the patio? If its not that big i would not worry too much with control joints also how many sides are surrounded by house or wall this effects how the pad can shift. If you do need to put control joints definitely saw them in and it will not effect the mortor joint. ive been doing it this way for a long time.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

We are doing a wet layed patio right now. We sawed in our control joints and laid the stone right over them.
  4. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm torn.......see it both ways. Actually, rarely that I see control joints.

2,000 SF patios, motar, being built without and no issues. I was taught the same but often wonder about cutting them and the effects. I have not done something so large scale/SF that I think they would be needed either.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I was very up in the air about the joints. I talked to every mason i ran into for about 2 weeks.

BTW Wait untill you see the pics of this patio. It came out unbelivable! 10x better then my stone pillars!
  6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhh, I can't wait:)
  7. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

i'm no expert, but I would put the control joints in, b/c I can't see what harm it would do.