Quick question(s) on w/b's

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stryper, Apr 16, 2006.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'm strictly a homeowner right now, with about two acres to cut. There is some slope involved that makes tractor riding, while doable, at least a little bit unsafe. I've almost flipped it a couple of times, and I have no wish to be discovered dead under a piece of machinery ;) .

Budget-wise, I'm limited to belt drives; gate-wise, I'm limited to no larger than 40". Dealer-wise, it looks like my best bets are Toro or Exmark. So I'm looking at the Toro Turbo Force and the Exmark Metro. My question, then, is: is there any significant difference/advantage of one over the other? Or should I just go with the best price? Cut, ease of operation, and serviceability are my priorities...but I guess that's true of everyone.

I have read as many threads on these particular mowers as I can find, but haven't found any side-by-side comparisons.

Thanks for the :help:
  2. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to take a look at our Quick 36 mowers.

For the money you're talking about, you can get a 16 Kawasaki with electric start. Compact, easy to use and hydrostatic drive is way better than a belt drive.

3. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have a simplicity dealer around you I would highly go look at their pacers they have there. They are hydro and floating deck and the best part I like about them is you don't have to mess with spacers to change the deck height it's just a twist of a knob to raise and lower. I got mine for $1800.00 that included a bagger and mulch kit.
  4. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I have looked at the Pacers, but it's my understanding that they don't do well on slopes. Otherwise they look like a great option. The tractor I'm using now is a Regent, and I love the cut...
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine works great on slopes. Try and demo one on your property.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i am a long time toro user and can offer you that it does well on slopes. even ones that you wouldnt think safe or even possable on.
  7. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Toro belt drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! emphasis!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Toro Belt drive is one of the best designs ever, better than Hydros (talking slopes here). This is because you can float the mower back (always keep the deck above a sloped area) by a minute release of the levers and turn. I wish I could teach the technique because after thousands of hours on one, I think I learned things that few use. I now use a Hydro H bar Hustler, which I can put about anywhere you can stand, and mow with, but the TORO BELT drive is still KING of slopes as far as techniques you can employ, and safety!!!!!!!!!!! A bonus is the fact that you can drive a toro belt drive with only left hand, only right hand, both hands, put your hands over here, put your hands over there (no carpel tunnel syndrome)!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

I prefer the toro t-bar belt drive over any other system...have 2 of those mowers. I mow some insanely steep manicured hills right on a lake with mine that anyone would be insane to use a z or some walk behinds on. The metro would work, but would have a much greater margin of error. Trust me...I've used a pistol grip w/belts a few times on the same yard, and there's no comparison. The quick 36 is a bit cheaper, but I'm really not sure how it handles on steep hills. Toro also makes a 40" deck now, so you get a bit more cut if it's not too big for you. If you go with the toro, and use it carefully, you wont be let down.
  9. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Okay, the consensus of most, so far, is that the Toro T-Bar is the way to go...how does Toro do, as far as quality-of-cut and ease-of-service? I'm not super mechanically inclined, but I don't mind learning.