Quick question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CBlandscaping, Jun 10, 2006.

1. CBlandscaping

CBlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

IF you get an account were the lawn is really tall and hasnt been mowed in a long time do you charge extra for the first cut then less for every week after that?

2. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

If its totally out of control, yup! Double price for double time. Make it pretty, make them happy, keep it that way.

3. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

when i get a call like this the prize can be totally out of control too!I consider how many weeks it's bin since my first cut and charge accordingly.Example: 8 weeks passed and they havn't cut yet till there call to you, If the lawn is a regular 25 a week... Times that buy 8 and let them have it! if they don't want to pay then move on it isn't worth it.

4. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

First time I ever heard that one.Double the first time,regular each time after that.You charge more the first timebecause its more work,wear & Tear ect..and so you don't bust ass the first cut for free and someone comes in after you for the rest of the season.

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

i usally charge 2-3times more depending on how long it is. i had a normally 30 dollar lawn that someone called me on,new customer,and i quoted 95 dollars and told them i would have to go over 4 times and it still would look like a hey field...they accepted and they raked it themselves to my pleasant surprise when i returned the following week. I ended up going over it 5 times,grass was as high as the top of my mower engine in some parts(52"greatdane supersurfer) probably 20".i cut all five passes at 3.5 inches(normally i cut at 3)

6. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I just did one like that for pool installation company. First cut $140 each cut thereafter $70 It's about 1/2 acre lot some moderate sized hills. Definitely charge more for wear and tear on your equipment. Plus, an overgrown lot hides things like rocks, sticks, and all kinds of other junk.. I hit a can of cat food the first time I cut this guys.;)

7. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I am the same charge 2-3 times, if its long and not sure charge 3 (or more).

Tell them this is a one off price and will be $30 or whatever hereafter if reg service.

8. CBlandscaping

CBlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks for all your feed back I mowed the property today $50 for the first time and $35 from here on out. The back yard was about 2ft tall but the yard was small so it didnt really take that long, even though I mowed it 3 times.

9. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

find out what your local municipality charges when they come by and cut it if it is $125.00 the first cut then make yours atleast $80.00 the reason I say this is most people that let it grow out of control don't care about there lawn and think they shouldn't have to pay to get it cut. I said most not all but then alot of times they try not to pay as well every customer that I have had to send to colloections was overgrown and both of them I felt bad for and cut them a deal and cut it for $40.00 man was I a sucker but I look at it this way if I had charged them $80.00 or more they wouldn't of paid that either, freakin hoosiers it's ok though I drive by their houses a couple of times a week every time it gets over eight inches I call the city sucks for them.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You have to mark it up. If you don't, you will end up coming across that customer who is all gug-ho and wants a full program...Then as soon as they get their stuff knocked down, guss what? THEY'll handle it from here on out....Before you know it,..you just did a $100 cut and clean-up for $40.