Quick question.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Vikings, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I'm not a hardscaper, (I don't like hard work:) )

Anyway, I had this lady phoning constantly, she wants her eavestroughs cleaned and she wants her side walk raised one inch.

I told her I'll clean the eaves but I don't sidewalks. But she kept asking me so finally I looked through the community newspaper and gave her the number of the nicest ad I seen. I did tell her, I DO NOT know this guy but he's advertising he does this work.

Anyway, I go clean her eaves and she tells me that guy was supposed to come and give her and estimate. The guy told her what he does is put boards underneath to raise the sidewalk.

I was like:confused: I'm wondering if that is normal, because I thought they would just put more gravel and tamp it.

She was no dummy either, she know about compacters etc. What she had was those square sidewalk block 2' x 2' or so. I want to know if it's good pratice to lift them up and put boards under them or what?

I reminded her again that I DO NOT know this guy.:laugh:

2. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

what is sticking boards underneath going to do? Ithink that would make the blocks more unstable. They would have to be lifted out, and more base would have to be put down, tamped, then make sure its level, then just drop them back in place. Thats the only thing i could see

3. Vikings

from canada

Exactly, even though I don't know much about this stuff, I did make sure that he wasn't talking about edging. The boards actually go UNDER the blocks to raise it one inch.

Only thing I could think of is maybe he puts the boards, say a 1" x 6" whatever length (if there is such a thing), if he places these boards under the side walk but at the edges and then fills in the middle with gravel and tamp it down. Once the side walks are placed back on top they would weigh down the boards, keeping them in place and the boards would keep the gravel in place.

They would have to be pressure treated but really this all sounds like a cheap, fix, something a scrub would do.

4. back_lash

back_lash LawnSite Member

Yeah I don't get that at all. Its pretty much common sense here, and I don't get what he's doing. Im no expert, but its common sense

5. Vikings

from canada

I really hope this lady doesn't get ripped, she was a good paying customer and recommended me to her two sons for eavestrough cleaning.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I've removed plenty of patio slabs and have seen boards under them before. Usually something the home owner woud do.

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I assume this is Canadian for gutter?

8. Vikings

from canada

Isn't that where homeless people sleep in the states? We don't have too many homeless in Canada (they freeze to death):canadaflag:

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Sad but true.

10. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

That make more sense now.

How big is the patio?