Quick Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevhov, Dec 13, 2007.

1. kevhov

kevhov LawnSite Member

How do you guys get leaves out of planting beds? My br600 tends to blow all of the mulch all over the place. Also shrub trimmings, what is the best way to clean those up?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ah well I tell you, that was probably the main reason I bought my handheld bg-55 is to get in them nooks and crannies.
    The bushes are one thing, but those porches there are a few I have to crawl under.
    And up around the heat pumps, especially those that are fenced in what a pita.
    The handheld is more maneuverable, it doesn't get in the way of itself nearly as bad.

They're not cheap, just under 200, but by my 5th season I absolute could not stand it anymore, what you speak of.

Then it's nice to have in the summer, after the worst of spring is over and before the leaves fall, once the clippings lighten up all that time in between I leave the backpack at home and just use the handheld. Takes up less space, consumes less fuel, starts about as easy, no straps saves time, it's light and nice not to have to manhandle that backpack around, sure is.

As for the mulch, that takes practice, but skim it lightly with the air flow helps,
    don't bore down into it but instead try to caress the leaves off of there, so to speak.
    Now some loss appears inevitable, I just do my best to try not to strip it.

3. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I just throttle back or stand a few feet away this has worked well for me.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I have a rake with spring loaded tines. Forgot the name. It has a yellow handle . They cost a bit more than a regular rake but are very versatile. It sounds like a giant step backwards but blowing out beds just doesnt work all that well.

5. huntemup

huntemup LawnSite Member

we have these rakes that you can adjust the tine width by sliding a clamping handle up or down the handle.Rake out the heavy stuff,andlight blow the rest out,youll blow out a little bark but not enough to notice. Works for us!

6. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

The best way I've come up with is to take the end section of the tube off (sometimes 2 sections of tube, depending on how loose the mulch is).

7. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

I have a red max hand held blower with the bagger. Probably one of the most useful pieces of equipment i have. I just bought a bear cat leaf and debris vac with about 10 ft of hose and really like it also. The leaf vac is kinda high dollar though. Maybe by spring I'll know whether or not I spent my money wisely or not.
    Both work good on leaves but twigs will cause you problems. The bear cat only has problems through the hose, it'll eat most any thing that will fit in the intake though.

8. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Invest $9.00 in a shrub rake. It has a very small set of tines, but a regular sized handle. I can effectively clear leaves from closely planted annuals with one of these. Use your blower at low throttle to follow up after you have raked out the heavy stuff.

9. bluetick

bluetick LawnSite Member

I have a red max hand held blower with the bagger. Probably one of the most useful pieces of equipment i have. I just bought a bear cat leaf and debris vac with about 10 ft of hose and really like it also. The leaf vac is kinda high dollar though. Maybe by spring I'll know whether or not I spent my money wisely or not.
    Both work good on leaves but twigs will cause you problems. The bear cat only has problems through the hose, it'll eat most any thing that will fit in the intake though.

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the BR600 and the Redmax 8000. I have found, through experience, that I blow out a lot of mulch using the stihl, but lose very little using the redmax. I don't know why, but thats the way it is. I skim the surface with both, but I think its because of the end of the tube on the stihl.