1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

quick question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rcracer, Feb 20, 2008.

1. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

so i gave a guy a quote for some landscaping. well i have to go over and paint a room for him tomorrow. i told him the price i quoted him and he said we would go over it tomorrow. am i supposed to break everything down so he can see every little price? how should i handle this.:usflag:
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

You got to tell us what is what the guy wants done.:waving:
  3. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

I have to pull some grass and weeds from his flower beds and then put new mulch down. I have to dethatch his lawn then mow it and bag it. I have to make a new flower bed and put dirt down. And then there is some clean haul some old wood and things off. I have to pull down some honey suckle vines then paint a small shed. I figured to do all the yard work it would take about 12 hrs. and then with the dirt and mulch and dump fee's I quoted it at 680.00 all together does this sound pretty good price?:usflag:
  4. rcracer

rcracer LawnSite Member

Hello anybody on here tonight?:usflag:
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

680 just for the labor sounds fine. I would add the dirt and mulch on top of that though. You are barely breaking 56.00 an hour with materials. It comes down to how bad do you want/need the job. I would shoot high and negotiate from there. When he balks remind of the pick up and and delivery of materials. That takes time and money, plus the disposal of the garbage. All this eats away at your bottom line. In your mind always start with what YOU want in the end and add material and misc. fees on top of that. Most guys try to work backwards from thier number and are shocked when they realize they are giving the labor away. I know its agonizing, estimating is the single hardest skill we face in this job.:usflag::usflag::usflag:
    ericg likes this.
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably wants to see a breakdown of what you will do. I would just write it up with a total and go over it with him.