Quick Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jkoehler, Oct 28, 2010.

1. jkoehler

jkoehler LawnSite Member
    from Edmond

I am still a little new.......I was asked to spray Pre on a baseball field. I noticed that he had Rye down and has had it down for about three weeks now. I guess my question is will it be ok to spray? The label does list Rye but, I just wanted to double check.

thanks

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I guess I would have to ask what are you spraying for? What product would you be using?

Typically you do not want to apply any herbicides (especially a pre) to "new turf" as you want to wait until it has been mowed atleast a time or two.

There is a new product that you can use though over the top of new turf and it works awesome. Check out Tenacity!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  3. jkoehler

jkoehler LawnSite Member
    from Edmond

Just spraying Pre-M. The coach did tell me he has mowed three times already.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I don't put down pre in the fall...but if he has already mowed it 3 times you should be good to go!

If he has already mowed it three times I would also guess that is has been planted a little longer then three weeks.

It usually takes 3-7 days to germination and a lot of it can take up to 10-14 days depending on the watering/rain.

Lets see what others say on here, but when I am doing spring seedings I delay my pre until they have mowed a couple times and we are good to go.

5. jkoehler

jkoehler LawnSite Member
    from Edmond

That's what I thought.....Mowed three times and only planted 3 weeks ago didn't sound right to me.

6. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

rcreech,

Hopefully Tenacity finally gets the residential label this year.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Mesitrione is a wonderful product!

We have been using it on the ag side now for 5 years and results are awesome!

I heard that it can be used on res now but I have not seen it on the label for myself. Would have to check on that.

I know it can be used on sod, and I think Golf and sports fields.

Can't wait to have it at our fingertips.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Creech is right. Exactly why does he want to sprya it so soon. Get your license and apply your crabgrass control in spring.
    NOW if he wants to prevent Poa--that is another matter. Aug 15 is the proper date--but...

9. AnotherOkie

AnotherOkie LawnSite Senior Member
    from Newalla

I had this link saved in my favorites. Can't confirm facts, but seems legit. I've used barricade after 60'ish days with good results.

<http://grove.ufl.edu/~turf/weeds/overseed.html>