Quick Question

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TurfPro, May 13, 2003.

1. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

It's funny ,just the other day I was mowing near some mirrored glass and was admiring my Lazer HP. I happened to see my belt really flopping around towards the rear (engine end),,but it doesn't flop around where the pulleys are.
    Is this normal?

Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Turfpro,

It's probably normal but it really depends upon how much belt movement we're talking about. You really want to observe the belt movement with the blades engaged but not cutting anything. As the grass changes in so does the load on the belt. Just as an example if the blade swings from a patch of dry grass to a patch of wet grass, or tall to short, thick vs. thin etc. Each time this occurs the load on the belt changes and belt-tensioning idler moves a little to compensate. All this adds up to some belt movement. If your concerned you may want to have your dealer inspect the belts and pulleys or give them a quick inspection the next time you performing your daily, weekly or monthly maintenance.

Thanks

Terry

3. TurfPro

TurfPro LawnSite Member

Sounds good, what should I look for when doing my service checks? I'll be the one doing this because my dealer is too far away.
    Thanks again Terry

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

TurfPro,

There are several things you can look for. First inspect the deck idler to make sure it is pivoting properly and isn't hanging up due to debris, lack of lubrication etc.

I would also inspect the belt for any missing material (front and back sides), high or low spots, idler pulley bearings, spindle bearings, bent pulleys, debris in the pulleys as well as balancing the blades. If the blades are out of balance often they can cause a cycling of vibration through the mower that will then cause the belts to shake.

Thanks

Terry