Quick question??????????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bull, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I had (21) 2 - 2 1/2" maples B&B. Nineteen of them are in the ground with two still not planted. They have been sitting out for about five days and our temps have dropped into the mid 20's overnight. Are they still okay and if so what is the danger zone for damage due to the root ball freezing? I know I should have mulched around them but I kept thinking Iwas going to get them in the ground. What is your opinion?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You will probably be fine if you get them in the ground (or healed in) soon.

We just planted 18 trees in two days, all of them had frozen root balls when they went into the ground. Maples are pretty hardy, you ought to be fine.

Dan

3. Bull

from NC

Thanks Felix, this is a volunteer job for our church and these two could not go in until the excavator got finished with the rough finish grading. I have 80% of the grade finished now but the dang frost and thawing process leaves me with a mucky mess every day now. I am just going to have to move on with the remainder and come back in early spring and redo this section to make it look right. Right now the more you mess with it the worse it gets.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

They'll be fine...you're a good man for volunteering to your church..

5. Bull

from NC

Thanks Impact, our church has really been blessed with growth over the past 5 years and we are now completing a family life center. It's fun working with different people in the church, watching them all plant shrubs, mulch, set the tree's and so forth. We even came up with a program were families have adopted the 21 maples. They pay for the cost of the tree and the money goes back into the building budget. We then identified their name on the architects drawing with a specific tree so they can relate to the one they bought. It will be neat 20 years down the road for a family to say that they planted that tree together.