quick question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, Jan 12, 2005.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a leaf vac with trailer. I didnt get a title for it guy said I didnt need one cause its an "implement" True of False?

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

trailers don't have titles unless they are x amount of gvw. maybe over 20000lbs but not sure

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

So I dont need a licence for it?

4. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't get a title with the trailer? You had better make sure it was his to sell.

The word he was trying to use is emblement. That, in real estate terms, means farm type item for lack of a better desciption. Most "emblements" are things like grain towers, barns, etc. Those items become real property not personal property when installed unlike trade fixtures which remain personal property(ie ovens at a restaurant) due to laws. Make sure of this for your state but that is the way I understand it.

I would think that a trailer is and would remain personal property which would require you to have a bill of sale to register the item with DMV and a title to show ownership of the item.

You had better check into this.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have never gotten a title per se even with the purchase of a new trailer...they give you a Certificate of Origin.

6. Carolina Cutter

I can build a $200 trailer here in NC and it will have a title. All trailers here have titles.

7. Carolina Cutter

The "farmer" you got it from didn't need to have a license tag for it due to it being a "farm trailer" which means that most of the use of the trrailer is supposed to be on the farm. He could "legally" tow it on the road but its intended use was for the farm which requires no license tags.

8. Lightningj33

Lightningj33 LawnSite Member

True Merlin, just bought a new all aluminum trailer and it came w/ a title. Every other trailer that I have owned, from 12'ers all the way up to 44' enclosed trailers, have all came w/ titles.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

License tags and title are two different things. The tags come after you register the unit with DMV.

10. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

You can apply for a "Home made trailer" title and registration, which will give you a title for it, contact your local DOR for the paperwork, it will need to inspected and then you pay a small fee for plates, licenense and title.

Just saw you were from missouri, do as above stated. Any state licensed garage can do the inspection if the trailer is less than 16ft. and not one with a king pin (tractor trailer type)

Also if this is the one you had on ebay, you may need to check with the state since that is a tempory/small trailer it may not require tags.