1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick referance pocket books?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Nitroman, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm trying to find some quick reference pocket books for diseases and weeds that include the info on each for when I second guess my self. I need them for Indiana. Thoughts?
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

lesco has a great hand book that fits right in your pocket that has all the common weeds to northern turf and it's FREE!! as far as the diease goes your kinda on your own, i've tried to locate simular, but no luck (except for a wall mounted list if you can find one) what i did was down load the files from purdue's web sight and print them on photo paper, then put them in a notebook. and i also cary my laptop with me that i have EVERYTHING saved on, including MSDS, lables, etc for all the chemicals that i use. along with the calibration, repair of all my equipment. try www.syngenta.com and request their FREE fungicide CD, it has most all the turf, tree, and ornamental disease and fungfus that they sell a chemical for (which is just about ALL). you can also try www.weedalert.com which is gordons web site (makers of trimec) and they have a list thats pretty comprhensive, and i down loaded it to my laptop as well.
  3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Syngenta has a pocket guide of turf diseases.
  4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Thanks guys
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as the disease go, you will be able to find a good text publication with all the fungus' and other conditions in it. Study it well, and should be able to have them down pat with identification and then can cross reference for treatment. There aren't that many in the cool season areas..There are only maybe 20 that are the most common....I'm not saying this as a smart-alek...I mean this sincere. Same goes with insect damages...in knowing what to look for. As far as weeds go, there are always your basic ones, but there ARE some that are REAL close to each other and can fool ya at times! Take for instance your Common Mallow to Pennywort(s), or Speedwell to your Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie). It's funny how some of these can look so close to each other. Noxious grasses can be the same way (foxtail to crabgrass, etc.). But these guys are right...Lesco DOES have a good (actually a few different) ones out that work well for this.
  6. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

teeca, I went to the Lesco site to see if I could order that book, but couldn't find it. The closest Lesco dealer to me is in California. Any sugguestions? :confused:
  7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

the one i got from lesco is published by 'dow agro sciences'. i thought that it would be a national thing, but being that the headquarters for ag science is just 1 mile from lesco?? i did pick up one at the midwest turf confrance a few weeks ago from the lesco booth. try dow's web site www.dowagro.com and maybe you could request one. try publication # T45-000-001
  8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Cool season turfgrass disease.Illinois pocket id series.by wilkinson and pedersen.about 4x6.Dont remember where i got it.I dont have one for weed id , i think the hand outs are spoken for before local supplier throw them out on the counter.Can not get a hold of any, but I have not looked too hard either.:)