Quick release Fert vs slow

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Williams Services, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Who here uses quick release in lieu of slow release, and why? If I recall correctly, Jim Lewis is a quick release fan, because of the impact that it makes with the homeowner. I'm especially interested in hearing from C4 (warm season) guys.

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Let's look at this closely and factor in all vairables to determ the best results.

!. If I am the one doing the mowing I will use a 50% slow release at the lower rate.

2. If someone else does the mowing and they are friends of mine I will use 25% slow release at the lowere rate.

3. If someone else does the mowing and they are jerks I will use the quick release at the higher rate.

Sure hope this answers your question. :)

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use mostly quick release. It is cheaper and I am making 4-5 applications. I do not need one application to last all summer.

4. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you also mow that lawn? Quick release fert in the spring can be a huge headache for the guys mowing and all that top growth at the expense of the root system isnt good for the turf either. In the long run you will have a unhappy customer because over time his lawn will slowly weaken and become more disease prone.
    Just my 2 cents.

5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Proper nutrition for your lawn has nothing to do with whether you mow or not!

In my program (which sorry Williams is c3 turf) - 75% of all nitrogen is controlled release -- either UF, methelyne urea, uflexx or organics. The only time I use quick release is for my late fall application when temperature reduces the availability of my slow release nitrogen.

Now -- that being said -- fast release can be used well if you are spoon feedign turf and making 8 - 10 apps a yearusing no more than .25#N/1000.

That top growth you see from too much n is not only bad for mowers it is death on your lawns long-term health. Every study and long-term landscaper in the country would agree witht his statement.

One exception -- if your dealing with sandy soils with low nutrient holdin capacity -- most of your contolled release nitrogen is not useful because it all leaches out befor beign used. I would assume this is true with FL guys and probably Jim up in the Northwest rain belt. Although I would htink his soils would have good CEC.

6. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

True DAT, couldn't have put it better.

7. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting that you should bring up the sandy soils ... we're in a sand belt over here and the yards suffer because of it. I'm leaning towards a QR type fert, with maybe 25% SR in it ... maybe. Add to that a 2-3% Fe and regs and I think I'll be happy with the results. Btw, I don't mow. Keep the info coming, I do appreciate it.

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

With Bermuda, I like to use a component of quick release in the first Spring application to help finish the greenup process.

After that, the applications focus on slow release forms with SCU, MESA, and UF depeding on the client and who provides mowing services.

Lawns that I reel mow will get 21-0-21 with 50% SCU and 50% UF. If that doesn't control surge growth well enough, Primo will be the next option.