Quick Tip #1 Horsepower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Partsangel, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Lets say you have a 20hp engine on your mower.

Well here is the breakdown.
    Engine Brand x makes a engine rated at 20hp at full throttle aka 3600 rpm.
    Mower Brand x makes the mower to the 20hp rating.

Your at Mrs Paysgood house and you dont want to make alot of noise so you throttle down to half speed, you now have a 10hp engine on a machice built for a 20hp engine, thats ok because you are only cutting 3/4" or less off the tops of the lawn.

You then get a call from Mrs Callslate and you show up and her lawn is a knee high. you will need to put the throttle up to full to get the most out of your mower and engine.

My point is that you should always run your engine at full throttle because that is what your lawn mower and engine is designed for. you will see the throttle cable disappear from most of your newer equipment as time goes on because they cant explain this in the owners manual because most people throw the manual away first then go mowing.

I hope this helps you and your employees understand about horsepower ratings and how they work.

Mike

2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

yeah i think we all get that, thats basic info. dumb thread

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

PartsangelWrote:"My point is that you should always run your engine at full throttle"
    --------------------------
    GASP! please don't run it at full throttle when not neccessry.
    eg: cutting thin 1"-2" lawn. I always cut throttle down when not really making mower work, or driving back to garage after cutting all day.

4. logical

logical LawnSite Member

well...half throttle doesn't automatically mean half horsepower...that graph is never a straight line, but yeah...full throttle.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

So running the engine full bore isn't always advised. Mowing and transporting also have different rules.

6. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

So should I run my mini van at full throttle (with or with out the trailer)? :confused:

7. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Cars also run the best & most economical at 90km/hr.
    Next time you run into a school zone or a construction zone, just tell the cop who stopped you, "whats wrong wit you,can't you see i'm trying to be enviro friendly"

8. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Sorry I posted this dumb thread, I didnt know at the time that everyone on lawnsite including our new members and the ones new to our industry was a air-cooled engine expert. I guess Quick Tip #2 and #3 would be silly as well.
    :walking:

Mike

9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

this would apply to LC engines gas or diesel also.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

The only people who are non air cooled experts are ones who run water cooled stationary equipment that uses river, creek, lake or canal water that isn't recycled. All other engines are air cooled.:D