quick top soil pricing question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JJLandscapes, May 28, 2006.

1. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

how much do you charge to spread top soil into beds and such . No bobcats just good old labor we did 4 cubic yards on 2 houses on the same block and want to see what eveyrone is charging

100 for 4 cubes delivered we paid.... could get 6 cubes delivered from another compny for $90 but we wouldnt have anywhere to put the extra 2 yards and the transportation (several pickup beds filled)part would have tooken us along time so wasnt wroth it
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

ehhhh I get my soil myself, 2 cubes / load because like yourself, I find it hard to get a good price on smaller amounts delivered. My trailer is GVWR'ed at 3 thousand pounds and 2 cubes weigh 4 thousand but I have the heavy duty radial tires (100 dollars each) on the 6x12 so it pushes the envelope but I've done it several times. <- Drive niiiice and easy, stay WAY back lol.

Pricewise, the topsoil runs me around 15 / cube so for 4 that's 60 dollars, I charge 50 / cube total, so 200 dollars for 4 delivered and spread. If I bust it and hump it good, I can spread 2 cubes in about an hour (whewieee) and 2 trips to the supply yard, well it's a half a day in all and not the greatest money but 200 / 4 cubes is really... Well it sounds kinda high, but again for smaller amounts customers love it because that's my niche anyhow, anything 5+ cubes is not worth it at this rate.

Now I suppose they can get the bags from Home Depot but that's like 40 or 50 bags at $1.20 or so each, it comes out to the same cost not even including the labor... Nevermind loading all that dirt by the bag thou the quality is much higher, I think my prices are up there but after it's all said and done, it's a best case compromise.

For 2 cubes, heck I'm out 30 dollars, 20 for the delivery, 50 for the labor and you GOT to hump it to make it but you're only using the barrow + shovel so no fuel-powered machines to worry about, worst-case scenario you bust the barrow (LOL) you're out 60 bucks and not 3 grand.
  3. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

any other suggestions
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We normally charge $25 per yard to spread....if it is in a back yard and we have to wheelbarrow we go up to $35. This is something our guys do on weedends and we pay by the yard. Topsoil cost $25 per yard with a flat fee of $45 to deliver in our area.
  5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

You all mean to tell me you don't charge an hourly rate to spread?

Hell I just finished up doing 2 yds of top soil, it took longer then i had hoped, i spent 6 hrs total (4 if it had not rained so dang much) on spreading and raking it out around the house & low spots on the property... (after all the rain we had it hadnt been covered, so it was heavier then normal) but anywho I am looking at $100-$150 for the job. Top soil was already delivered they just needed someone to spread it.

Am i out of line on the charge... I figure manual labor = hourly rate charge.
    (Yes i know if your doing the math that $25 an hr or less) It's also for my neighbor that said get to it when i have the time, since i'm not swamped i took them up on the offer.

All Clear