1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick trimmer trick I finally found.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bart may, Apr 3, 2008.

1. bart may

bart may LawnSite Senior Member
    from montana

I've tried almost all brands of trimmers and it seems after awhile they begin bogging down and loosing power. I would remove the spark arrestors and that would help for awhile but eventually they would just quit working.

One day I took the muffler off and was inspecting the carbon buildup to see what else I could do to get the power back up. I happened to look at the exhaust port on the engine where I had just unbolted the muffler. I took and flashlight and shined it in there. I couldn't believe it. It was almost completely sealed of with carbon buildup. I made sure the piston was up all the way and took a tiny flat screw drive and began scraping it out. I used parts cleaner to flush it clean when I was done.

I put back on the muffler and wham the thing fired up just like new. It had power and everything. I began digging in my trimmer "bone yard" and found 2 echos that I thought were dead. I did the same thing and now they are both running again. I can't believe that I have thrown away probably 4 trimmers and blower because the dealer couldn't even figure it out.:hammerhead:

Anyway just thought I'd share my experience in case your suffering from the trimmer bogging down and loss of power. Take your muffler off and look in there. You might be surprised.
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

You should not check the exhaust port, if you want to throw it away, throw it......Throw it my way:laughing::laughing::laughing:!!!!!

What did you find on the others in your bone yard that are really dead? Ring wear out or other problem?
  3. bart may

from montana

I think that all my problems have all been carbon related. I think I chucked a few away that shouldn't of been chucked. I only shared this info because I've heard others say they have had the same bogging down problems. I think it's crazy that a small engine shop couldn't of figured it out for me though.

I won't be throwing them away now unless they are truely dead.
  4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

not to sound rude but you've been on here since 02 and you didnt know that? do a search and you will probably find 1000's of threads on that topic. anyay, i guess atleast you learned. :waving:
  5. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

try running some synthetic 2 stroke oil. We've found this greatly reduces the carbon buildup. Just removing the spark arrestor will help quite a bit anyway though. We remove em' before they even go into service now.
  6. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

it only make sense when you burn that kinda of mixture
  7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Sea Foam works well to loosen up the carbon deposits. Let it sit in the exhaust port for a few (with the piston tdc)
  8. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Take a dremel to it and give a port and polish job, you will notive a major throttle response change. Not for the novice though as you can do some major damage. Done right will make the trimmer twist in your hands when you gas it.
  9. bart may

from montana

I'm sorry if I didn't read about this sooner. The only thing I've read about is the screen. I don't camp on this site all day long though either so I must of missed it.

I do run Amsoil in all my trimmers and still get carbon.
  10. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

will have to look into this, got an old stihl trimmer and still running but want see if can get better performance from this.