Quick ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RICHIE K, May 19, 2008.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 cemerterys that we do now I only get $1,200.00 per month to mow them every other week. The 1 takes 9hours with 3 guys and the othwer takes 7 hours with 3 guys. Many many stones and same have to be blown off when done. I estimate it cost me in exp., gas, workers , ins wear and tear on equipment. Around $750.00 per month , So I only walk away with $450.00 at the end of the month. Do you think it is worth keeping. Like to today we are doing a mulch job and making $1,000 in 1 day

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

48 man hours for 12 hundred bucks... you already know the answer.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

actually its 96 man hours for 1200 bucks.... 1200 bucks each month for two cuts @ 48 man hours each cuts.

you are grossing $12.50 an hour....you are making no money at all on this job...You have no idea of your expenses if you think its 750 bucks covers everything.

4. RICHIE K

5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i have one that pays 1200 a month as well. it takes 28 man hours a month for 2 people to complete it. thats roughly 43 dollars per man hour. i pay my helper 14 per hour. *newusflag*

6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch. Your good math shows it much better than my poor math. And I thought it was bad at $25/hr...

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

One thing Ive noticed, and no disrespect meant to any one, but i see a lot of errors like this (math errors, poor calculations, ect..) by a lot of folks on this and the other site.

Numbers don't lie.... numbers will tell you exactly what you ask of them...the key is to put in the proper numbers.

Again no offense to ritchiek, but he was estimating 750 in expenses....No reason to estimate, you know exactly how much you pay your labor and you know how long it takes to do the job(which in most cases is about 80% of your expense). Fuel would be any easy to figure out. Fill up all cans, and all equipment and then goto the job. when you are done, go back to the gas station and top everything off again...You will know exactly what you spend in fuel...Insurance is easy....total cost divided by number of clients, or you could weigh the numbers based on contract value...Equipment maintenance could be figured the same way....

Id put money on the fact that RitchieK is walking away from these jobs with less money in his pocket than what he started with.

Now if I was in hard times or winter, I would take one time jobs at low profit rates to cover the expenses and to cover the folks on payroll. WHY...your insurance never stops asking for money, if you have a year round payroll, they never stop getting paid, so some money coming in to cover/offset these expenses is not a bad thing, but you at least want to make sure you are making money.

8. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean, we are cutting all day and bringing in alot less then going to a bigger install or mulch job and making double in the same time. For me mowing is to fill in time between other jobs, I know I can make alot more in the same time but you have to figure these mowing jobs bring in alot of other extra work so it's hard to say no. Unless they are really a big PITA to do it kind of depends how busy you are, profit is profit.

9. RICHIE K

PITA is a understatment these people are such PITA the mone about everything like my candle was knocked over or grass was cut to high. In reality the lawn should be mowed every week not every other and 80% is zowia grass. I only took this because a family member is in charge of the church and if I could help them out. Plus there is never no extra work they dont want to even spend on spring or fall clean ups.

10. RICHIE K

What town u from ?