Quick36 Deck Height Adjustment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, May 28, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Yesterday I went to raise the deck slightly on my Quick36 about a half inch. I actually bought the unit in December, put the height at 3.5", and that was the last time I did any adjustments (5 months ago). I thought I was going to have to blast the unit with dynamite in order to get the front spindles out. I beat them and beat them and beat them. I was actually at a customers house and eventually gave up and ran the SuperZ across their yard. When I got home, that evening I hit the spindle shaft so hard, it popped the upper bearings out but still wouldn't allow the shaft to go through.:angry:

Then a small light went off in my head.:hammerhead: I pulled out my 4" hand grinder and went to work on the top of the spindle shaft. I had to do some serious grinding to the upper inch of that shaft trying to shape it almost like a cone. After trying, grinding, trying again, grinding again, etc., it finally slid on through.

Is this a normal thing with walk-behinds? Now that I know what to expect, I'll be ready if it happens again. :dizzy:

2. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

You have had the machine since December, you said? B.O.P. Recommends pulling the front casters and cleaning the shafts and then using a spray lubricant like Fluid Film on them. I plan on doing this service every 25hrs on my machine. Right now I only have about 17hrs on it.

3. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey LS...hope you got my PM from the other day! About those front casters...yea you definately have to WD40 em...I try and do it once a week...when I swap the blades. If ya do that...you'll never have an issue with em.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You have to grease them. That is with any mower, not just the Quick.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, I got your PM.:)

I really don't believe it was a corrosion/rust issue. For some reason, I think somehow the caster actually became "wider" near the top. Maybe it had a piece get nicked and stick out or somehow due to constant hitting or pressure, it flattened out. I will start lubing it more often and see how that works out.

It could be the problem is all in my head.:laugh:

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

You need to grease it at least once a week. Everyday would be better, but that isn't realistic.

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Fluid Film....The stuff never goes away or dries up

8. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

You can't hit those front casters b.c those are just right for sliding through the hole. You just have to spray wd40 with the little straw that comes with the can. Then spin it a couple times. An employee told me about white grease or something like that normally last for a long time.

9. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

bingo. I still have a small amount of surface rust on mine but they still slide

-TAZ

10. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 36. It happened twice, but no more. I spent over an hour filing the darn things. Now I un-pin, lift the front and they drop out. Just the way I want'em.