1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quick36 vs Lesco vs. CubCadet vs.Simplicity

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dzd9fy, Apr 15, 2005.

1. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

In the final stages of making a purchase, and wanted to know what the feeling on here is of the following models:

Quick36 [std or HD] published prices
    Lesco 32 gear drive w/ 14HP Kaw FC420V $1700
    Lesco 36 gear drive w/ 13HP Kaw FC420V $2000
    Simplicity 1334 hydro w/ 13HP Briggs Intek $1800
    CubCadet 1336 hydro w/ 13HP Kaw V-Twin $2300

All seem to have pluses and minus', just trying to figure out what will be the best for a 1/2 acre with trees, deck, etc.

At what price does the Lesco pop to the top since it is right around the corner from where I work?
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

are the simplicity and cubcadet dual or single hydro?

this is my personal preferance (in order of choice): quick36, simplicity, lesco 32", lesco 36", cub cadet. this is assuming that the cub and simplicity are single hydros.
  3. dzd9fy

dzd9fy LawnSite Member

I think the hydros are single....

Any concern with a single vs dual cylinder kaw motor?
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

not really. just be aware, the kawi's like a purebred horse, it runs at very high tolerances, and performs very well, but, you have to do the maintenance, to the letter.

don't get me wrong, on every engine you will have to do the maintenance requiered, but the kawi's are just a little less forgiving. a v-twin will last you longer than the single cylinder, but for your needs, it really doesn't make sense to pay more when a single cylinder engine will last you at least 12 years under residential use.

another thing to consider, is that if you have a complex layout, a hydro is going to be much easier to control. on a gear drive, you have speeds, sometimes, those speeds are either too fast or too slow. with a hydro, you can slow down, speed up, go in reverse, and do everything in between with out having to shift the gears or dealer with speeds that are just not quite right.