Quickbooks 2005 question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mtdman, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I am waiting for my registration to go through on the qb forums, so I thought i would ask this here in case anyone knows.

In the past with qb 99 I always started new company files each year. I did that to keep things within the year, and to prevent the company backups from getting too large. So each year I'd start a new company. I upgraded to 2005 last year and I signed up for credit card billing, billing solutions, and payroll with my company file for this year. If I start a new company file for 2006, is there a way to transfer those services to that company file? Currently those 3 services only work with the current company file.

Thanks.

2. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

At the end of each year I archive my file for that year. That way all your accounts, balances, customers, and other info, etc gets transfered into the new years file.

3. Landscape25

Landscape25 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I just have Simple Start right now but starting a new company each year sounds easier than typing in the dates each time you want to see something in 2006. Are there any disadvantages? I hope my new company gets more business payup .

I was just thinking that you have to redo everything else too.

4. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Why would you start a new company each year? I don't understand that. Don't worry about the size of the file. It's miniscule, I'm sure. Even if it's not, just get a bigger hard drive...those are cheap these days. I'd suggest an online backup service as well.

Dan

5. hoyboy

from Chicago

One more thing. If you have to put the dates in every time you want to see a report for the current year, then you probably haven't told quickbooks what your fiscal year end is. Do so, and it will make life a lot easier for you.

Dan

6. Landscape25

from Florida

I don't think the Simple Start is that advanced. It does say this fiscal year, year to date etc. in the drop down.

7. hoyboy

from Chicago

You need to tell Quickbooks what date is your fiscal year end...it isn't always December 31. Mine isn't. So if you pick the "fiscal year" report without telling QB what that is...it won't give you a proper answer.

Dan

8. Landscape25

from Florida

I am just ending my fiscal year on Dec. 31st so I guess it does not need to be programmed. I started my business last year (Oct.) but I did not have the Quickbooks then so I just put everything for this year in the program.

9. hoyboy

from Chicago

Go to the "Company" menu and look for "Company Information" then look for the "fiscal year begins" drop down menu and choose "January" if you have a December 31 year end.

Dan

10. Landscape25

from Florida

I looked. It was under file and fiscal and tax year are Jan.. Thanks. I still keep everything on paper too.