Quickbooks 2006

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by 6'7 330, Jan 24, 2006.

1. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Any thing new in it make it worth the upgrade?We currently are useing QB pro 2004.We do payroll and the accounting with Qb.

2. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Do you need to monthly pay for the payroll or can you do it internally with the product you buy?

3. cookedonphonics

cookedonphonics LawnSite Member

I work for a software company part-time in the winter that has a program that integrates with QuickBooks, so I have a bit of an insiders take I guess...

I have all versions loaded going all the way back to 2002 because I need them for my job here...

I can tell you 2006 is no different than 2005 in it's capabilites and not all that much different than 2004.
    What they've pushed this year is the new user interface (which is supposed to make things easier for you) but they haven't really added any new functionality. They are trying to reach people who don't currently have QB with this release.

It really has nothing to offer their existing customers unfortunately, outside of the way it looks (but then you would have to take the time to teach yourself how to use it with the new screens anyway to do the same things you did with your older version already)

Here's the kicker... there isn't a NEW user price and a different (lesser) UPGRADE from previous versions price anymore.... it all costs the same. They describe this new theory as not punishing new customers with a high initial price. We here at our office describe it as F-ing over all of their existing customers... lol

My opinion is if your using QB now, you already know how to use the program right? And since there isn't ANY new functionality...why would you buy this?

Save your money this year.... I'm sure QB 2007 will have much more to offer.

Hope this helps! :waving:

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you,I had a suspicion what you are saying was the case.And think your right about pushing it to new user's, they sent a 20 dollar coupon, stressing give any unused coupon to give a friend .

5. kfish

kfish LawnSite Member

I'm using QB 2003 Pro & wasn't planning to upgrade but last night I got a "pop up" when I was emailing an invoice to a customer that this feature & billing solutions would no longer be supported after April 30th. Now I need to upgrade..... they "got me" bummer -

6. kfish

kfish LawnSite Member

Wow! I was grumbling about having to uprade to 2006 but in this case I'm glad I did. What a HUGE positive difference between these two software packages. Numerous ways that save time because of putting more data on each screen as well as ways to search for existing data.

7. newmanfan

newmanfan LawnSite Member

I agree-

Not much in the way of program changes, but worth it to me for the user interface.

8. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Its a new look, but not much in the way of functionality.

There is one nice improvement, though. The payroll now has the ability to track workers comp codes. Before, it was only possible through the "class" system, which would screw up other reporting options.

I think there's some asset depreciation and loan amortization functions now, although I haven't messed with them yet.

9. bbrsq

bbrsq LawnSite Member

we switched at the end of the season to qb2006 from 2003 version. big difference is the user interface. they have also changed some of the things. you can no longer print some of the things from the screen you are in. you must go back to the pull down print menu to do it. the only reason we switched is because they stopped supporting it. other users of different versions will find that they will also be running into that same problem in the futher.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

At which time it will be time to find a new software that doesn't have the forced upgrades.