Quickbooks and Invoices

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by rbljack, May 1, 2013.

1. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Ok, ive been using quickbooks online for about a month now, and have a question for long term users. I have typically used the invoice function for tracking who owes me, and when payments are received, close out the invoice. I know I could use the sales receipt function, but prefer to stick to invoices because I can make them renewable.

Now for my question, do yall print out each invoice and payment receipt and keep a paper copy for your records? I haven't been doing that, and have been debating whether or not to do so. I'm trying to get/stay organized, and have been learning quickbooks online through trial and error.

so how are yall doing this?

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

no, we don't print out anything for our personal records... just make sure you use the backup feature in case your PC ever crashes. The only time we print anything out is to mail an invoice. That's the beauty of QB and computers is the ability to search without having to thumb through paperwork.

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

I am slowly but surely moving to paperless. Every evening, the computer gets backed up. One copy goes in the safe, one copy goes off site in case of fire,etc.

4. shane-pa

shane-pa LawnSite Senior Member

some mailed, some emailed. back-up on a flash drive.

5. Slimreynolds

Slimreynolds LawnSite Member

I have everything on the computer and back up on an external hard drive...then I print out every invoice and throw it in a box. I like to have a paper copy of all my invoices just in case. Even when I email invoices to customers I print them out and then I throw it in the box when I receive payment.

6. exmarkking

exmarkking LawnSite Bronze Member

Why? That's more expense to keep a paper copy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

I only print overdue invoices which I mail out with a collection letter...99 percent of invoic3s get emailed and I follow up with reminders via email..I havnt printed the majority of invoices for 10 or so years...
    Say no to printing

8. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

thanks yall...that's what I figured. I'm saving the invoices/sales receipts as PDF documents, but not printing them out as hardcopies. Seems like a waste of ink and paper and cash in the end.