Quickbooks and Real Green

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Especially for those that use Real Green software do you also have quickbooks for your accounting stuff? How hard is it to learn the two softwares? Any suggestions or advice going into this new process? Do you have to buy Real Green's paper? Do I need a special printer? Any help or suggestions will help.

Right now I am using Groundskeeper pro and excel spreadsheets, but it is time to step it up to a much better software especially for the marketing aspects that Real Green offers.

Do most of you pay the annual fee for service calls?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have used Groundskeeper Pro for two years and am getting Real Green installed next Monday. Can;t wait to start using it!

I literally grew out of my Groundskeeper Pro!

Real Green will do everything for you and you can do away with EVERYTHING else. No other software is needed. I am getting it to upsell and market my current cusomters and new ones.

Call Real Green as they are totally awesome to work with! I have been working with Val!

3. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

rcreech,

sounds very good, but i have went back on some of the searches and have seen quite a few holes in Real Green. i would love to start another discussion on the best software here. i really like the marketing capabilities of real green, but support and update fees and poor customer service scare me. the problem is there doesn't seem to be anything out there with the marketing capabilities that it has. customer service is VERY important to me.

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

From what I have picked up from current customers is their service is awesome!

What holes have you heard about it? I haven't heard any yet...but would like to know if so.

I am VERY NEW to it...but love what I see so far! I will actually be at Real Green on Monday and Tuesday of next week for install.

Scotts and several other major players use it and they have another 1500 users.

I think the monthly fee is $70 and that includes unlimited monthly support and all upgrades. Sounds like a lot of money...but if you can upsell the crap out of your added services it will more then pay for that (or atleast that is the way I am justifying it).

5. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We have been using Real Green for years now. It works well. In fact it is probably the best program going to market and grow our business. We looked at several options before we bought in. Nothing out there compared. It will help to bring your whole operation into focus. As far as the perfect program..... well I don't believe it exists. If I could write code I would have designed my own program to do what I want. In the end it's worth the money to buy the program. That being said there are some things you should know. You will need a good computer and a laser printer ( don't buy a cheap one our first laser crapped out after two days) ( the new one cost about $2500 bucks.) You will need to buy Real Greens forms and envelopes to use the system. you will need to pay for tech support and upgrades. You will need lots of aspirin while you learn the program. You will be learning the program for a long, long time. There's a lot to understand. There are endless reports and some things won't make sense if data is not entered correctly. Don't let any of this scare you off. Once you make the investment and learn the program it will be a lot easier than whatever you were using before.

6. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I looked into getting the Real Green software as well, but haven't decided yet, still using Quickbooks just fine, but to tell you one thing they will take Payments, She told me 25% down and the rest over 12 Monthly Payments if this helps your search any. To any of you using Real Green, do they have a mailing service for your monthly invoices instead of having to buy an expensive printer and hassle with mailing each month?

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

tlg,

Why won't a "regualar" laser printer work?

I have a very nice printer but it was only like $400. Why is a $2500 printer needed?

Thanks,
    RC

8. tlg

Customer service is only as good as what you are willing to tolerate. When it's the busy time of year you WILL wait for a callback. Some service techs are great, some can cause you grief. Sometimes communication of the problem you are having and articulating that problem to tech support will be your biggest hurdle. It's hard to explain what you don't know. It's even harder for them to understand what you don't know. New support techs don't know everything . Don't be afraid to ask for Pete or somebody that's been there longer. This is not a complaint. It's just reality.

9. tlg

Our first laser printer was about $700. It was an HP. After two days we had gear problems. The HP repair tech said it was not the best for doing a lot of printing. The printer itself had some design and engineering flaws. He suggested the HP Color Laser Jet 4650 we have now. It's not that your printer won't work. It will. The problem is it's capability is limited.
    The 4650 prints very fast. It has different paper trays to select your standard 8.5 x 11 or legal size where your invoices print from. Even this printer gets real hot when printing. I'm sure this will be a problem someday too. We felt at the time that if we were going to invest all this money in a program we really needed a printer that could keep up with what we were sending it. Buy the way I'm not recommending this printer by any means. The ink cartridges are over $200 a piece. You will need to print invoices, renewal letters, statements and countless other reports. All this requires a really good printer if you have a large customer base. Our experience was that the smaller printer just could not make the grade for us. I'm no expert so there may be something better by now.

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The only reason I ask....is I technically won't be doing any more printing them before.

Was just wondering if something was different!

I will be printing the same amount of invoices/day as before while using my Groundskeeper Pro.

I guess I will use mine until it dies!

Thanks for the info!