Quickbooks destroyed my MAC desktop

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Dec 18, 2007.

1. I lost my entire desktop due to an unasked for auto generated QBKS update. If you are running a MAC go to www.quickbooks.com/installhelp. Do not download QBKS do not reboot your computer. The MAC message boards are filled with lost desktop questions. I see a major class action lawsuit developing.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

In general, auto-updating has risks. PC's running XP, or newer, have a chance at using the Restore function when these catastrophes happen.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What do you mean you lost your desktop? BTW, I got about 5GB of pdf references if you lost yours. :)

Don't do anything with your desktop yet, I may be able to point you to an easy way to retrieve your lost data.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, IC Now, RTFA. You might be able to undelete the files assuming they haven't been overwritten. This is why you partition and avoid at all costs keeping any sensitive or critical data on your dedicated OS partition

5. Looks like somebody has been through a similar disaster before.:laugh:

I've been using qb since the good ol dos days. Never have had nor heard of this problem before.

Could the problem be that qb is for the most part designed for the ibm\ibm clone machine rather than Mr. Jobs machines?

For the most part, I hope Fico can recover his data. I know it's a total pain.

6. Here is their latest response. I've tried for several hours to try and find my lost data. The message boards seem to suggest the files got written over. Had I kept updating my OX software to Leopard I'd have a program called TimeLine that would have saved me.

I'm so bummed about this. I can't believe they would release an update without testing it first.

December 18, 2007

Dear QuickBooks Pro for Mac User,

As you know, this past weekend we experienced a product update server issue related to QuickBooks Pro for Mac 2006 and 2007. First of all, let us apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. We resolved the server issue, and are committed to working with any affected customers.

We are sending you this e-mail in response to your request which we received either through our QuickBooks Community Forum, through your request for a solution update in our Knowledge Base, or from your call to our technical support line. If you’ve already received a follow-up call from an Intuit representative, or if you are a user of QuickBooks Pro 2007 for Mac, please disregard the rest of this message.

If you are a QuickBooks Pro 2006 for Mac customer and have lost data or have operating system issues, we wanted to let you know that we are working diligently to determine the best way to get you back up and running as soon as possible.

We will be providing more details shortly and an Intuit representative will be contacting you directly (please do not reply to this email).

In the meantime, we recommend that you minimize the use of the affected computer and not reboot it if possible. To help the Intuit representative best assist you, please prepare the following information.

1. Did you try to resolve the problem yourself? If so, what did you do so far (repairing permissions, running a utility, etc)?
    2. Is QuickBooks functioning for you now?
    3. If QuickBooks is not functioning for you, what problems do you have?
    4. After the message “there is not enough disk space to install” appeared, did you notice anything missing from your desktop? If so, do you know what files they are and what you had?
    5. What version of QuickBooks Pro for Mac do you have?
    6. When did the problem occur (approximate date and time)?
    7. What version of Mac OS is on your system?
    8. Even if QuickBooks is functioning, what problems are you having with your computer after this happened?
    9. Do you use any type of backup system? If yes, what type? Please be as specific as possible by providing the name of your software, for example.

Regards,

QuickBooks Support

Forward

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, at least they are owning up to it.

Aww.. I feel so bad for you. Tell you what, I'll send you a cookie or a twinkie and make you feel all better :)

8. They aren't owning up to it. If this can happen to a MAC their are a zillion more things that can happen to a PC.

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

::blames Quickbooks::