quickbooks estimate

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Nov 28, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought quickbooks about a year ago, and have yet to learn anything that I can't do with Microsoft Money. This is probably a dumb question, but can I set up estimates, that would total up the job, as well as total the estimated hours? This is for landscaping jobs, where there are a lot of trees and shrubs involved. I want to be able to pick several items, and have it total up the costs, the man hours, and the estimate for the customer. Is the program capable of this?

2. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Yes,

You can make an estimate form. It looks just like your invoice, but with "Estimate" on the top.

The cool thing is....when you finish the job, just start a new "Invoice" and select the customers's name, and viola....it brings up your estimate that you can edit as needed.

3. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

What version of Quickbooks? Regular or Quickbooks pro?In Quickbooks pro 2005, it is easy, to make and print up estimate's .Click customer's and scroll down to create estimates.

4. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

can you do this with quicken?

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have quickbooks Pro....I have found the estimate part of the program. The problem is how do I enter the items? They have a place for items, I created an item, but it had no place for actual costs....or install hours...or any of the more complex things that I want the estimate to actually add up. Do I have to create these fields? And if I create them will it add them up?

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Make an estimate and go to the first line to enter an item. Type the name that you want to call it and hit tab. If the item is not yet set up in your system, it will ask you to set it up. Go in, give it a name, price, markup price and distributor (if needed) and save it.
    Next time you are making an estimate, type in the name again, it will pop in automatically, price, description, and everything. It will show you a quantity, price per item, subtotal, markup, and total line per item. Only you will see the cost price and markup percentage that is automatically calculated from the difference between your cost and your markup price to customer.

So... when you print out the estimate for the customer, it will show your 5 gal plant, 20 of them, for 25.00 each for a total of 500.00. Put in all your other items for the job and skip a few lines down towards the bottom. Enter an item as "labor, install, man hours etc... something like that. Estimate the hours it will take to complete the job, put that in at your labor rate. It will add that in as well to your grand total. Pass it on to the customer, tell them "LISTEN UP, ESTIMATE ONLY, THIS COULD CHANGE IN EITHER DIRECTION." if thats the way you fly.
    Like clark said, make into invoice once you get started on the job and your almost there. Quickbooks is pretty good. Im looking into Microsoft Small Business Accounting 2006, looks pretty decent. Dont know if it has the estimate feature or not. Good luck

7. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

There is also Quickbooks Contractor edition.. which would probably work a lot better for you guys. I'm sure it has special features for that type of work.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi drsogr,

Here is a forum that may be helpful.

http://quickbooksusers.com/.forums/

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>