1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

QuickBooks Help Please!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Coumbe, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Coumbe

Coumbe LawnSite Senior Member

When a customer partially pays for services on an invoice and then I need to bill them for the next months service, how do I create an invoice for the new services and the services not paid for on the previous invoice. EX: invoice #1 he owes $500. He pays $300 and has an outstanding balance of $200. For invoice # 2 he owes a new amount of $500 and an outstanding amount of $200. How do I get that old $200 onto the new invoice of $500 to show him he owes a total of $700. HELP!

Thanks

2. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

This can be done by using statements and not invoices. Use the statements for on going billing.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, if you want to use statements. I always use invoices, but I am starting to consider statements instead.

But you can also just assign it in the payment received area to the next invoice

4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't use invoices, I use statements.

5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I use invoices. What's the differance with statements? Pros vs Cons? I just know that once the invoices are marked as paid it wants me to deposit it. And sometimes they're not deposited so it keep telling me I need to deposit.

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

pull up a template of a statement in Quickbooks in print preview and you can see the difference. It basically shows any outstanding balances the last 90+ days, payments that were received, and current balance

7. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

I can't remember exactly but I think there was something pretty important I couldn't do with statements. I'm thinking you can't charge sales tax on QB statements.

8. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Typically invoices are used for one occurance, statements are a historical record of account activity. For example, a per mow customer would be invoiced each time the account was mowed and you would have 4 invoices for the month. When using invoices with statements, you must fill in the memo box in the lower left corner of the invoice, or the just the invoice number will appear on the statement with no description. The statement would show the previous months total as a balance forward, the 4 invoices for the current month, any payments made, the total amount due, and outstanding balances would be listed at the bottom as to over 30 days, 60 days, etc. .

For a flat rate customer, just an invoice could be sent. If the customer missed a payment, a statement would be sent. With statements, its much easier to add late fees.

Quickbooks also allows you to memorize an invoice. You can create an invoice for Mrs. Jones for mowing at $40 per time. You mow Mrs. Jones on Tuesday. Memorize the invoice, then create a memorized transaction group for all Tuesday mowings. Each Tuesday evening, you then can enter the Tuesday memorized transaction group with a couple of key strokes and the whole day is entered. If you skip someone on that route, either enter the rest of the accounts one by one within the memorized transaction group or simply run a sales report, double click the customer that was skipped until the invoice itself shows up, and then delete the invoice. Quickbooks makes it real easy and fast to enter repetitive invoices.

9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Yes, statements are not supposed to show sales tax or work done, that is what invoices show.

As tiedeman said, statements show most recent amount owed, any past due amounts, any credits, and total due as of the date of the statement.

What I do for billing:
    Once a month, I make out an invoice showing work that has been done (usually for the past 30 days, we make out "daily job sheets" that are in trucks and collected at the end of each workday), and the invoice includes sales tax. Then I print out a statement for the customer, showing the newest invoice (just the amount), past amount due, and the total due. I send the customer a copy of the latest invoice and the statement. Using window envelopes makes it unnecessary to do addressing. This does not take long once you get used to it.

For awhile I tried memorizing invoices every day, but I guess I am just used to doing it my way.

Try Quickbooksusers forum for more help.

(I forget the exact link)

10. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

You can setup your payments to go into 'undeposited funds'. This keeps your customers payments off the checking register until you want to deposit your checks. When you finally make it to the bank you can then make the deposit in QB also.l