1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CelticGreens, Mar 23, 2005.

1. CelticGreens

CelticGreens LawnSite Member

I consider myself to be a pretty smart guy, i can usually figure things out on my own. but how the hell do you use quickbooks. I feel like a complete idiot when trying to navigate through it. i cant figure anything out. i have Contractors premier edition and felt that would suit me. but it just seems too complicated compared to Gopher. whats your opinions. can any of you shed some light on me. :dizzy:
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

It took me a little while to figure out QB as well. I just switched over to Gopher, mostly for the scheduling and equipment maintenance feature, but overall GB has some hidden features that makes things easier. IT just takes some time to figure it out. Perhaps start out with Basic or Pro instead.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I hear you Celtic! Just got it and struggling through it now. Just billed myself via credit card as a test. It does seem pretty complicated!
  4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I have used QB since it was a spin off of Quicken and before that I used QuickInvoice as a add on to Quicken. I am still using 99 pro version.

Use the tutorials. It should show you the basics very well. It is all in setting it up to fit your biz needs. I use it also for a building maintenace company that myself and a partner have together. Lawn maintenance and building mantenance both are setup totally different. The newer versions I know do more than my older version, but even with the older version you have to find examples in the tutorials and examples in the book and think outside the example of how can I make that work for what I want, then try it and apply it.
  5. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I too wasted my money on QB. I can't believe it is that popular yet that dfficuly to use. After I dropped a couple hundred on a program that is supposed to make things easier I'll be d%#@ed if I'm going to invest hours(I spent about 10 before I decided it was pointless) learning to use it. I'd rather be free to go out and make some money like the program promised would happen. It is quicker and easier to use a pencil and calculator than QB. IMHO anyway.
  6. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

What cant you figure out. I have been using quickbooks since I started. It is one of the easiest programs to navigate. If you have any questions let me know. I guarantee you it is not as complicated as you think it is. Just play with it. Only thing that sucks about quickbooks is that if you do payroll you have to get the updated version every three years and it cost 199 a year for the payroll form updates
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Go spend about 40-50 bucks in a local store and pick up "Quickbooks, The Official Guide" or order on-line. It is a GREAT reference book with color, visual aids. It is great, I LOVE quickbooks...its simple.
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Never had a problem with it. From the day I bought it I found it easy to just jump into and start using. There are tutorials to use, and doing the company interview process will help set you up correctly.
  9. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

You guys that like it used it from day 1 it seems. Big difference. It is much more difficult to pick a start date after day 1 of business. I bought QB after 10+ years of business. I try to be honest but I have no business training I'm self-taught. In the beginning I had no idea how to keep good books so my numbers are not reliable back then no way to go back to the beginning. If I put in 10 minutes daily and a couple hours at the end of the month I can do it on paper. I hate bookwork and wanted to whittle that down. I didn't see that QB was going to save much time and I would need to invest many hours I don't have learning to use it and entering enough data to get it started. The main advantage I saw was greater accuracy. But if you don't make all your entries properly your results are garbage and you can spend a lot of time tracking the problem down. I never had a problem doing math on paper. The main reason for my bookkeeping problems is that I forget to make an entry. The computer is no help in that regard it is a matter of self discipline. To get to the point, after trying QB for a couple weeks I realized I wasn't going to get what I wanted out of it. What I want is a human being who enjoys that work and won't forget any entries. Until then paper, carbons in the checkbook a gas card etc. so I can go back when I need to and fix mistakes.
  10. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I think you need a general knowledge of accounting to use it properly, Some people are just better off hiring a professional. Why would you put someone uneducated in control of all the $$ figures for your company. I use quickbooks, love it and could/would not do business without it.

Here is a free tidbit. Go to VTC.com and find the quickbooks tutorials. There are basic tutorials for free, then you can purchase a subscription to go more into detail. They are very good and free.

Did I mention FREE yet?