QuickBooks Invoice - how to make tear-off?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Roger, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I use QB Pro 2006. Last season was the first time, and now I want to reformat the invoice. I had too many cases where a customer paid the "subtotal" not the "customer balance due." The "sales tax" amount was not in the payment, and had to be carried over until the next invoice.

I am reformatting the template, taking out the "credits" line, leaving only the "subtotal" "sales tax" and "total." I want to make the bottom of the invoice a tear-off, with an "amount submitted" line, to be returned with the check. Perhaps forcing people to write in an amount, with a question, "Is this the "total" amount of your invoice?" will help them to look more closely at the right amount. Apparently, having a few lines below the box with work descriptions proved to be too confusing. And, no, it wasn't the customers I would have expected to have trouble --- several very asute people made the mistake. This leads me to believe the problem is mine, and I need to fix it.

The other choice I thought about was to include a sales tax amount on each line item on the invoice, with only a "total" dropping down the bottom. The 'total" would be the only numerical amount they would see at the bottom.

Has anybody created and used a template with a "tear-off" as I described? I see nothing in the standard templates, but believe I should be able to make one.

2. DMAN

DMAN LawnSite Member

Roger,

You can download additional templates from quickbooks(intuit) website. I think there is a way to access it from the quickbooks toolbar. I modified a template from there that had a tear off section all ready laid out for you. Addded logo and some tweaks, good to go.

DMAN

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And I don't know if this helps or not...You may already know this...On a side note, there are many sites that yo can get invoice forms (blank) that are formatted and have perforations in different areas (different types to select from) for this purpose. Realgreen systems sells them, and I'm not sure, but I think Nebs had some, as well. I'm sure more guys on here can chime in with more suppliers, as well.

4. marionlandscape

marionlandscape LawnSite Member

I have one I really like. I can't figure out how to copy a full pic of it though.
    what it is, is a 2 part invoice. the "bill to" that appears in the window when you mail it. a service address is also at the top along with my return address and my logo that show thru the return window. the middle is the description service date, price and all of that good stuff. the bottom tears off and the addresses align with a #9 envolope window that I include. pay this amount is in bold at the bottom and there is a place for a PO and check number. if you want to see what one looks like send me your address and I would be more than happy to invoice you