QuickBooks - Invoices or Statements

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Roger, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I've spent much time over the past month attempting to get QB set up for my business. After I got the Invoices customized the way I wanted for monthly billings, I realized that no information is available for "unpaid balances." Upon further research, I learned this information is on Statements, never on Invoices. QB support told me to use Statements for customer mailing, and keep the Invoices on my records only. I like the Invoice because it provides a better itemized list of work done for a month.

I know many of you use QB, so what are you using, Invoices or Statements?

Don't let the thread stray off into the "nobody should have an unpaid balance" direction. That is for another discussion.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I use monthly statements...unpaid balance is nothing more than Customner Balance Detail/Accrual.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I send both, Invoice for current month, statement for past due.

4. palawnman

palawnman LawnSite Member
    from PA

I use both, I use statements for monthy lawn cutting charges and invoices for landscaping work.

Ron

5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto here, Invoices to provide more detail, statements if payments are being made (in order to display outstanding balances and time elapsed since last payment). I mostly use invoices only though as it is infrequent when I have somebody making payments.

6. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

" I realized that no information is available for "unpaid balances." Upon further research, I learned this information is on Statements, never on Invoices. QB support told me to use Statements for customer mailing, and keep the Invoices on my records only"

I use invoices. If you go to reports / customer & receivables, you can open any invoice you want. Most customers want invoices with an invoice number on it. Bring up an open invoice report and put your curser over the invoice you want to look at and click it. The only time I use statements is when a customer has more than one property or more than one invoice for different services and has a question about something.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

same as PAlawnman, statements for routine work and some other services, invoices for landscaping.

8. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I just use statements.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Never use an invoice. I use statements only. That way I keep a running register of the work done for each customer throughout the season. A statement is a statement of account activity. Plus it keeps track of who hasn't paid on time, late fees, etc.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the replies! I should have put by question into a better perspective. I'm a solo, with about 45 residential customers. I work on a "per task" basis, so the customer would like to see the itemized work list.

After reading what has been provide here, plus a couple of other conversations with others outside the business, I think I will typically use a monthly Invoice, but will include a Statement if there are any overdue monies. A couple of answers indicated a some of you use this scheme.