1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Quickbooks Invoicing

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by procut, Dec 24, 2007.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I really want to start using quickbooks. The only problem is, I hate the invoices, the will not work for me. What are some of the green industry specific programs that will hold hands with quickbooks and do invoicing?
  2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What is your concern about QB invoices?

I use QB (for two years), and I designed my own invoice. The software comes with some templates, but I started with a "blank sheet" and put on what I wanted, and where I wanted the information. Don't take the standard templates as a "final" form for your use. QB gives you the design tools to make your own.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

exactly...custom design what you want.
  4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

There are many, many, many multi million dollar business' that use quickbooks exclusively for all bookkeeping and invoicing. Quickbooks is the #1 bookkeeping software in the world hands down. Take a closer look, you might be able to do what you want with it.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

You see, I have the "Simple Start" version of QB. I think maybe its invoicing capabilities/choices are not as advanced as some of the other versions; does any one know?

I didn't see the blank sheet option, I'll have to look closer.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I use Quickbooks Pro 2007 with their additional payroll center. Quickbooks *pretty* much automattically updates the tax info for your state and you just enter in the hours and out comes employee checks.

Just like the others I have a customized Invoice, customized Estimate, etc. I also print my checks, and deposit slips with quickbooks. You can see who owes you money, the date they owed you, amount past due, and even days past due and quickbooks has pre-written collection letters and such. You cant go wrong with quickbooks.

IMO, you might just need to play around with quickbooks for a little while and you will love it. I plan on spending the extra money for Quickbooks Premium 2008 this week. I think the pro version is $200 while the Premium Version is $450 or so. They also have a Premium Contractor's Edition, but im not too sure on the benifits of that version.
  7. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

You're killin yourself using this version. The way QB designed it is so wierd:hammerhead:. I used this for about a month then threw my hands in the air in frustration then went to Staples and bought Pro 2007. BEST decision so far I made as far as office work goes.

Bottom line, buy Pro and you'll understand:)
  8. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

Please tell me what the difference is, and how in the world do you keep from doing double books? Meaning write all of your work down then at the end of the month you do your invoicing. I really here great things about quickbooks but do not see the benefit. I do not want to pay alot for qexpress either.
  9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to the Intuit web site to compare the versions they offer.
    I record my work in invoices which I mark as "pending". At the end of the month, I mark all "pending" envoice as "final" and print them out.
  10. fknippenberg

fknippenberg LawnSite Member

I personally use qClip to track all of our work and then export to Quickbooks each month to do the invoicing - works great...

However if you didnt want to invest in something like Clip or Qexpress, etc...Then there are a couple of things you can do...

1. If you have customers where all you do is mow X times each month and its the same each month you could create a memorized invoice that is automatically created each month.

2. You could create an invoice for each customer every month, mark it pending and just add to it as you go throughout the month. When you want to send it out just post it and print it and your in business.

I honestly don't know how anyone can run a business these days and have a true handle on it if they were not using Quickbooks or something similar - At the push of a button I have at my fingertips our current financial position, who owes us, who we owe, etc...Its the only way to intelligently run a business.