QuickBooks or Excel

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by snap12.5, Mar 28, 2005.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

For a small business, cant u just use Excel instead of paying the $100+ for Quickbooks. I havent yet used QB but isnt it a spreadsheet just like Excel?

I was thinking to set up an Excel sheet with "sales revenue" at the top followed by any "costs" "depreciation" and "taxes" etc.. And at the end of the income statement just have the "net income". Will this work or am I missing the big picture of what QB can do for me???

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I used a homemade spreadsheet for tracking income and expenses for the first few years I was in business. That worked well for me but doesn't do anything to help track billing and customers. This January I started using QB and find I like it much better than using the homemade spreadsheet.

3. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

YOU CAN USE MEDLIN ACCOUNTING

GOTO WWW.MEDLIN.COM

IT IS A SHAREWARE PROGRAM AND HAS ALL MAJOR THE FEAURES LIKE PAYROLL, ACCTS REC, ACCTS PAYABLE

IT'S FREE TO USE

I PAID FOR THE ACCTS REC ABOUT $40 SO I DON'T HAVE A LINE SAYING " UNREGISTARED VERSION" ON IT SO WHAT IF IT SAYS THAT ON MY ACCTS PAYABLE OR PAYROLL (I HAND WRITE CHECKS ANYWAY) THE PAYROLL TAKES CARE OF HOW MUCH TO TAKE OUT

4. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I used excel when I only had about 5 customers...was pretty easy..but then when it came time for tax time...it was a nightmare.

Now with quickbooks I just click on the P&L reports and balance sheet and send it off to the accoutant...he than calls for any specific questions and has me print out whatever he needs...I know you can also email your accountant a file specifically made for them within quickbooks...mine said he didn't need it.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

By all means use Quickbooks. Its a 100.00 well spent. It keeps track of all your income and expenses. You can categorize all your income. It does payroll. You know who owes you money and how much. Invoices, sales tax, and statements are a snap. There is a bit of a learning curve. Find a friend who uses it or pay someone to teach you how to use it.

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

The 2 programs are totally different, Both awesome in their own ways, but not for the same thing

8. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks for the intuit.com link and the replies. i checked it out and QB seems like it is the only way to go. just wondering what editions u guys use??? i might get the "simple start" edition but i am not sure if it is advanced enough. what r ur comments on the editions u guys use. thanks