Quickbooks Pro 04..Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by o-so-n-so, Feb 15, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a customer that wants to pay in payments.
    I opened the account with an opening balance of $xxx.
    When I invoice her each month in the amount of her payment, it adds to her balance and then when the payment comes in, it will show that invoice as being paid. The balance is still off.

I want the invoice to show payments/credits toward the opening balance as the payments come in.

Or how would you do a contract type set up?

After 10 payments, I want to be able to look on the invoice and know the account balance.

Can anyone help me.....QB 2004 a little complicated for me.

thank you.............

2. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

How are you recording the payments? Are you using the deposit option under banking or are you using receive payments option under Customers? You need to use receive payments option under Customers on the Customer Navigator page . If I understood your question. For the payments to show on an invoice I don't think thats the default way the invoices are set up. Have you made any changes to your invoice yet? You may need to make a new invoice template. Just open the invoices and click customise... select a type of template in this case service template then click new. Click footer tab at the top and look for the Payments/Credits box put a check in there and your invoices should reflect that info now. So in conclusion; Set up your invoice to show the Payments/Credits and enter all client info thu the customer navigator page and it should work. That is if I understood the question.:)

3. leadarrows

from N/A

I left out........... check the "Balance Due" box when your customizing your template.

4. leadarrows

from N/A

Don't over look the usefulness of the sample companies. I used one to make this sample for you. Is this what you want?

sample.jpg

5. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

I am using the "receive payment" in the customer navigator page.

Let me see if I can explain this in detail:
    Customer John Doe received service for a total bill of $600.00. I open this account in the new customer area. Now John has an opening balance of 600.00.
    His first payments of 50.00 are billed on the first of each month. I do this by invoicing him. When I create a new invoice, it adds 50.00 to his total bringing the balance to 650.00. When I receive the payment I go to the receive payment option and apply the payment to the correct invoice (check beside the invoice that it applies to) and it will show the invoice as being paid, bringing the balance back to 600.00.
    The balance should be 550.00.
    I can just bill john each month without the opening balance, but I want show payment/credits against the balance owed on each invoice.

I will go through what you said and see if that will work.

It seems that my problem is the $600.00 "invoice" in the beginning. I want to credit that invoice. Not create a new invoice at each billing. I understand what the program is doing. I don't know what I need to do to get my billing set up on a customer that pays monthly.

Is that the way to set up monthly billing?

thanks leadarrow....

6. leadarrows

from N/A

Don't start a new invoice each time. Just work from the original one. You can just keep changing the date at the top and printing a new copy to send your client. Each time he makes a payment enter that payment in your receive payment window. Just make sure you make the payment to the that original invoice and it will bring down the total owed each time. What happens is as long as there is an unpaid balance on an invoice it will show up in the customer receive payment total. The same customer can owe you for more than one invoice at a time and you can choice which one to apply payments to as well. If I can explain it better over the phone I would be glad to walk you thu it. PM me if you want me to do that and I'll pm back my phone #. I will be home tonight after 8:00pm. The invoice example I'm posting this time I started out with a bill of $600.00 Then I made three separate payments of $50.00 each. The only thing I don't like about it is it shows the total payed but not the individual payments. Dose this Help?

sample.jpg

7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You want to create the invoice once of the total job, then as you bill send statements each month not invoices.

8. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Understand both replies.

Can I send a Bill through QB that will show

Total..................................$600.00
    Payments/credits...............$150.00
    Amount Due Now.................$50.00
    New Balance..........................$400.00

my problem is sending the customer something that says he owes only his $50.00 monthly service fee.

I think I might do billing through Gopher and apply the payments to the QB invoices as they come in. This will allow me to apply payments to invoices while sending my customer a bill showing the monthly payment amount instead of the full balance owed.

I think a statement shows the account status. I need to ask for a payment like a credit card bill. I can't rely on my customers to just send payments. I have to hold their hand and make it very simple.

I am probably the only person in history with this problem. sorry

9. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I would just print a statement each month showing account activity and either hand write $50 due this month or put it in the footer.

10. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

do yourself a favor, go down to the local borders or barnes & noble store. Go to the software section. There are great books for teaching yourself quickbooks. I bought the one that Quickbooks actually makes. I don't know what I would have done without it. If you want the actually name of the book let me know.