Quickbooks Pro 2008 - payroll

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Grits, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I am thinking of upgrading to QB's Pro 2008. I need to be able to do payroll for a couple of employees. Can you do payroll with this software without a monthly subscription to Quickbooks?

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

QB Pro 2008 & payroll can be bought together in one box at Sams Club for $243.47 (on-line) The payroll has to check-in every month or it will shut down. PRO sells for $179 and PAYROLL is another $199. The package deal is a good deal. I've renewed my payroll each year by getting it from Sam's club for at least $50 off the on-line renewal price prompted by quickbooks update.

3. Grits

from Florida

So is there a monthly charge so the payroll can check-in each month? If so how much is it?
    How much is it to renew the payroll each year?
    Thanks!!!

4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

I dont have 08 yet, but there is away to do payroll without the subscription in the older versions. You just have to manually enter all the exemptions each time, and you don't get the QB guarantee that its correct. I've never done it, because i can write out the checks faster then it takes the computer to load. I'll look and see if i can find the instructions for ya.

5. Grits

from Florida

I checked that out on the Sam's site. Exactly what I need! I think I understand the "additional fees" now. You just pay each year to renew the payroll for the tax updates. Thanks!!!!!!

6. DuallyVette

In my above post, I included the prices( which may change from year to year). So far. QBPro 2008 can be used for years after you buy it. PAYROLL use to be able to use it year after year after you buy it. 5 or 7 years ago, they make you renew it once a year for the $199/$150 or at`SAMS for $99.

When you buy PAYROLL. It is good for 1 YEAR, but it does look for "updates" each month. Without the updates it will no longer figure the taxes and payroll. You can look up the numbers and enter them manually.

PAYROLL makes quarterly (941) reports a snap. It also keeps up with tax deposits ( which can be made easily on-line.)

7. DuallyVette

PAYROLL 's annual fee is well worth it rather than looking up the employees wages on the FED & state tax rate schedules, multiplying the SS and medicade rates and matching them. Then at the end of the quarter you have to add your little chart up for your reports. WAAAAY more work.

8. Grits

from Florida

It is exactly what I need and was looking for. At a great deal too! I was trying to find info on the Quickbooks site, but couldn't find the exact answers to my questions. I knew I could post on the forum and get the answer in a few minutes.
    I plan on going to my local Sam's tomorrow to see if they have it so I can go ahead and get everything setup. If they don't have it I will just order from Sam's online. Thanks again!

9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

did I read an above post that said I can manually enter the tax tables in the 2008 version. I have been using an older version b/c it allows me this feature without having to pay for the subscription service.

Either way, the $99/year is better than anything i was able to find on QB's website or from their customer support staff that dont know the least bit about the software. (One guy didnt know it was possible to do payroll with QBs)

10. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

keep in mind if you want to do the 941's etc, you need the ENHANCED payroll, not the basic. its on sale at staples for 149, usually 299.