Quickbooks...ugh

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Feb 17, 2006.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is what I want to do. Can I do it with quickbooks.

I want to enter in commonly used plants, hours required to plant it, cost, markup. And then have it add everything all up for me. Seams easy, but I can't make it happen.

I found out how to enter items, and how to add a category for the hours. But when I add it to the estimate, and put in 5 for the quantity it won't multiply the hours. What do I need to do?

I am really wanting to "harness" the power of the program, but I think it would be easier to build this in excel!

2. GroundsMan

GroundsMan LawnSite Member

I have been using quickbooks for many years I have not had that problem ever. I love this software. Don

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think your going to have to enter Hours as a separate item

4. drsogr

That is what it was looking like...but that is not how I price my landscaping jobs.

5. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Pro landscape has a feature where you enter all that in, labor hours would be listed as labor cost. Then it sends it over to quickbooks to be printed out. To have hours you have to manually enter them for each line item, it won't calculate them.

6. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Is there anyway you can make it a group item?

7. drsogr

Thats an idea...I might check into that. It would be more work, but that might work. I will give that a shot.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

when i enter plants into the item list, i simply include a labor price in with the cost of the plant.

for example,
    for a plant that costs me $8.00, we charge $30.00 to install ( including labor)

so for the 3 gallon plant in the item list i use the $30.00 price.. this includes the labor..

9. drsogr

Your not understanding the problem. I know how to include the labor in the cost. I am just trying to derive the man hours from the costs as well. So if I had a 3 gallon plant it would take 0.2 hours to plant. So at the end of the estimate it will show me my estimated hours, as well as my cost, and the customer costs.

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Go ask on the quickbooks forums.