Quickbooks users

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Feb 16, 2009.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

First, they offer support for $80/month for a software that cost me $120??? No free support either in first month! Plus the damn support people can barely speak English. Not fun so far.

Basically I'm trying to figure the best way to set up my company on Quickbooks. I am only using it to track expenses. I'm doing all invoicing through Real Green. I am not tracking bills owed because when I buy something I pay for it then with credit card or check (usually credit card). I'm trying to put my credit card info into QB and they want an opening balance from 12/31/08. Called bank and they can only give me balance from 12/18 and 1/20. I can probably go online and figure out my balance from 1/1/09, but I use the credit card for personal purchases also and this is where it gets me confused. I'm wondering the easiest way to set this up and what balance I should go off? I have all my business receipts from 1-1 until present day and planned on manually putting those in, but don't want to mess things up by putting in the wrong opening balance in. Because I use the credit card for purchases other than business won't this screw up my balance once I start inputting bills? PLEASE HELP SOMEONE!!! Their support online is a joke and if I call they tell me I will be charged $80.

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Just start with a 0 balance. The first time you reconcile your credit card account, it will ask you if you want to automaticlly correct the balance. Say yes anb use "openning balance equity account for the correction.

3. take a chill pill and drink a beer, at first it is very intimidating, just take your time once you get the first part you will see and everything will start falling in place. just takes time. You might want to take a class on it.

4. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

thanks. i will continue to read my Quickbooks for dummies book, put the balance to zero, and then roll a fatty up.

5. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

6. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

This may result in long periods of staring at the screen! lol:laugh:

7. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Stick with it, QB is a great system.
    I use the internet blog sites for help.

8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

mrkosar

In another thread I posted there is no need to pay for technical support with Quickbooks. There are too many people using Quickbooks that can help you. In my case I have a friend who is a profession computer techn who does both programing and hardware repair on large server systems. He even repairs laptops hardware. We trade out services with no money exchange. But any one who works in Accounting Bookkeeping can help you. It is all about having friends and helping each other.

BTW I am still using 2003 quickbooks and have no reason to up grade. I no longer run credit cards but have in the past.

9. Surferbum21

Surferbum21 LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW OKC

hey does anyone have quickbooks pro? I have simple start and am wondering if it is better to get the pro? I have yet to use this system to bill and keep track of expenses but so far better than when i was using excel. and my friend recommended gopher...is that better than QB?

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I recently bought Quickbooks Pro. I was expecting a CD in the mail. All I got was a download option on this computer. My prob is this computer is my home unt -- not the computer at the office where we needed it. WTF??? Our office is located in an area where we have no high speed capability. We use peoplepc.com there. Very slow speed. I think we're screwed. Not good. Are we screwed?? I think so.